How to go wireless - existing CBus2 lighting dimmers.

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wireless Hardware' started by Anzac100, Aug 25, 2023.

1. Anzac100

Anzac100

Hi guys
    New to this forum and new to CBus2 so please point me to the correct thread if this isn't it.

Our house has CBus2 controlled dimmer light switches, which were already installed in the house when we purchased 8 years ago. The house would now be about 18 years old.

I'd like to be able to control the light switches with Google Home app. I've read quite a few threads on this forum however I need to come up a level to start with. I am computer savvy and have programmed before. I am not very electrical savvy though.

I have seen information on Wiser and also Homekit/RaspberryPI. The Wiser solution seems expensive, particularly for just the single purpose of controlling light switches so I'm happier to look at alternative solutions.

I have 2 panels with 5 x 8 channel dimmers and 1 RS232 interface. There is nothing plugged into the RS232 interface and the status lights are red. There is no control screen in the house.

1. I'm assuming there must be a wireless receiver that plugs into the panel to control the switches... is this correct?
    2. Is this done via the RS232 interface?
    3. Can you describe at a high level what components I need in place to build a system and their purpose. I can then research more details on how to activate/program them.

Thank you....

Anzac100, Aug 25, 2023
  2. Anzac100

DarylMc

I haven't tried it in a while but there is a google smart home plug-in for homebridge.
    There is a some instructions here to setup homebridge on raspberry pi.
    https://github.com/DarylMc/Homebridge-cbus-installer/blob/testing/SETUP.md

I've attached a picture with a bit of an overview.
    In your case since you have a RS232 CBus interface you could use a usb to serial converter from the pi to the RS232 interface (some converter chipsets are problematic FTDI works good for me).

I don't have any experience with Google Home or android so hopefully someone else will come forward if there is a better setup for that platform now days.

Attached Files:

DarylMc, Aug 25, 2023
  3. Anzac100

DarylMc

FYI
    The pink cat 5e cabling is 30V CBus and not to be plugged into ethernet networks.
    Just in case you noticed CBus RS232 interface has some RJ45 sockets for serial connection, never plug ethernet or CBus in there.
    If you are not sure ask first.

DarylMc, Aug 25, 2023
  4. Anzac100

Anzac100

Thanks for your reply Daryl. I'll review the info see how I go.

Do you know what the red lights on the RS232 adapter mean on the panel. Is this just because there isn't anything plugged into it?

Thanks again...

Anzac100, Aug 26, 2023
  5. Anzac100

DarylMc

DarylMc, Aug 27, 2023
    Anzac100 likes this.
Ask a Question