5500PC PC Interface (serial) firmware upgrade possible?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hank31980, Dec 7, 2023.

1. hank31980

hank31980

HELP and ADVICE PLEASE

I have an old used 5500PC Interface (circa 2006) and and old 4 Channel Dimmer module. I wanted to try and see if I could link the two together and learn a little more about Clipsal systems and configuring this stuff.

However I am having difficulties when I am trying to identify the devices via C-Bus Toolkit.

Could it be the 5500 PC Serial device is loaded with an old unsupported Firmware version so that C-bus Toolkit doesn't recognise it?

If so is there a way to update the firmware of this device, and if so using what method/software?

What software can you run on a PC to connect directly to the Serial port. I tried running Putty to make a connection and tried Hyperterminal to do the same, but cant get any joy there?

I also have a more modern 5500 PC USB module, so when I try and connect the USB PC Interface and the Dimmer together I get a little more joy. I can see the devices from C-bus Toolkit.

However when I try and add the 5500 PC Serial device in to the mix, it is detected as Module 3 but doesn't show its serial number and is indicated in RED and looks to be running firmware 4.5, whereas the 5500 PC USB module was running 5.5.

hank31980, Dec 7, 2023
  2. hank31980

Conformist

The PC Interface (and almost all C-Bus hardware) does not have field upgradable firmware.
    Your PC interface most likely was produced just prior to the introduction of serial numbers and this is why you don't have one in there. You may be experiencing issues with the USB to serial adapter (assuming you don't have an RS232 port on your PC). Toolkit is pretty fussy about this unfortunately. Maybe just stick with the USB PCI for now.

You can use C-Bus diagnostic utility to communicate directly with the PCI. I'm not sure how fussy that piece of software is with an RS232 to USB adapter though.
    You can grab it from here... https://www.se.com/au/en/download/document/DiagnosticUtility-V1.4/

Cheers, Chris

Conformist, Dec 7, 2023
  3. hank31980

hank31980

Well ultimately what I wanted to do was use a Clipsal Serial Interface to communicate with a 3rd party Control4 system and so I thought best to take it step by step and at least be able to setup a simple Clipsal system first using my 4 Channel Dimmer but so far I seem to have fallen at the first hurdle in terms of my USB PC Interface is not capable of Serial comms to Control4, so then I purchased a used Serial Interface to try and do this, but either this unit is faulty of so old its of no use?

I seem to be getting in a bit of a muddle before I've even started.

My simple aim I guess is to setup a very simple Lighting project with my 4 Channel Dimmer, then try and bring that to a Control4 system to be able to integrate Clipsal equipment into that?

hank31980, Dec 11, 2023
  4. hank31980

Ashley

Any 5500PC module will work with the current verson of toolkit. A Cbus system needs power, a clock and a network burden. I assume the dimmer unit has a power supply (the 5500PC does not). The lights on the 5500PC will tell you this. The burden must be enabled in the 5500PC and it must be unit 1. This may not be set up correctly. Also, you may not have a clock enabled. From what you say it looks like toolkit is talking to the 5500PC, so just open up its dialog and check the above settings.

Ashley, Dec 11, 2023
Ask a Question