Apple homekit integration!

Discussion in 'Voice Control' started by ievolve, Nov 7, 2016.

1. ievolve

Ambro

I'm not really comfortable to supply an image only because when something breaks or doesn't work you really need to understand why it's broken & the process of getting certain components working.

That being said I've made a step by step which is really basic & links to the pages others have made in a chronological order. Follow the order and you'll be good to go.

http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=57201&postcount=5

That's as good a Cbus-homekit dummies guide I can provide, hope it helps

Ambro, May 2, 2017
  2. ievolve

simonhac

sounds interesting, but where can i get a product sheet or documentation on the 5000SM/2?

there's nothing of interest (that i can see) on the product page.

-s

simonhac, May 2, 2017
  3. ievolve

simonhac

ambro, that's a good start. i'm hoping that folk flesh it out some more -- preferably on the github page. (perhaps in the wiki?)

the holy grail would be for folk who know nothing about linux to get it running -- nb. your internet modem almost certainly is running linux and unless you're L33T you've never dropped into the shell and edited config directly.

but that'll require a bunch of software development to get us there. working on it...

simonhac, May 2, 2017
  4. ievolve

tobex

Hi Simonhac,

I was quoted $220 before discount. It has been mentioned in the forum once before. The carrier board which plugs into the SIM was described by this diagram.

http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6163

It connects to power, CBUS and Serial. Thats it. The carrier board supplied is the developer kit.

http://www.cbus-enabled.com/pdf/C-Bus Developers kit.pdf

Hi Ambro,

Should i purchase a small screen for my Pi ?

Should I consider running 2 or 3 pi boards so that I may determine the problems of each server when it happens ?

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017
    tobex, May 2, 2017
  5. ievolve

simonhac

who's up for a Raspberry Pi HAT that includes:
    * 5000SM/2
    * tiny screen for status
    * battery backup

seriously, would folk be up for this?

i wouldn't bother, if you don't mind telneting/SSHing in.

i reckon 2 or 3 boards would be 2 or 3 times (at least) harder to manage.

-s

simonhac, May 2, 2017
  6. ievolve

tobex

I think the idea is very sound. I was looking into getting this case http://au.element14.com/phoenix-con...meResp=All&searchView=table&iscrfnonsku=false

A video of the DIN rail concept

This UPS https://www.power-supplies-australia.com.au/blog/din-rail-ups-power-supply

I notice that Teamviewer runs on Pi also. I will probably run the GUI on mine.

3D printable DIN mount for a screen (as a concept) http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1076986

Im currently looking for a screen which might fit into 100mm x 40mm

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
    tobex, May 2, 2017
  7. ievolve

NickD Moderator

The 5000SM/2 (aka SIM) is basically a cut down PCI with isolation on the serial TX/RX.

It's exactly the same board that is integrated into various C-Bus enabled products such as alarm panels.

They are usually ordered in "bulk" by these C-Bus Enabled partners and as such are probably made to order, so you may struggle to get your hands on one (at least in a timely manner).

I'm also pretty sure that the Development Kit carrier board that the SIM plugs into is no longer available.

You would probably be better off buying a secondhand USB PCI off eBay and gutting it (if you don't want to use the USB interface, you could almost literally use a hacksaw to cut along the isolation barrier and you would have the same functionality as a SIM).

Nick

NickD, May 3, 2017
  8. ievolve

tobex

Does anyone have information on a large heatsink for the Pi CPU ?

tobex, May 3, 2017
  9. ievolve

NickD Moderator

It's funny you should say this, I have a DS1513+ and have often thought the same.. particularly when I think of all the problems we've had over the years developing and maintaingin hardware platforms for Wiser(s).

A homebridge/C-Gate package that could be installed by Package Center and configured via the DSM GUI would be pretty awesome.

My main reservation is that this whole homebridge thing seems to be relying on an unsupported way of interfacing with HomeKit and is therefore completely at the mercy of Apple and as such isn't something I can see being officially supported by Schneider.

Nick

NickD, May 3, 2017
  10. ievolve

tobex

The best part of this equation is the ability to run a NAS with no hard drive at all. Some brands do not have a drive resident OS.

QNAP and Synology basically come out of the same production environment. All of the Taiwanese producers of NAS speak to each other and have common production teams for different aspects of manufacture.

The OS for the NAS does not come from the same place the chassis comes from.

tobex, May 3, 2017
  11. ievolve

simonhac

i've been running homembridge via marcoraddatz's docker image on my Synology for 4 months without any problems.

(i'm also running cgate on it, but from the command line as a docker image doesn't yet exist.)

simonhac, May 4, 2017
  12. ievolve

simonhac

thanks tobex -- great links.

i'm very keen to work put a small Pi + OLED screen + battery (possibly more like this one) + 5000SM/2 into that DIN rail mount enclosure.

i wonder whether i could crowdsource enough to make it worth putting together a couple of dozen?

simonhac, May 4, 2017
  13. ievolve

NickD Moderator

Which model do you have? Just wondering what is the minimum in the way of system resources it would be happy on.... we don't run C-Gate on any of our embedded products as it's not exactly frugal.

Nick

NickD, May 4, 2017
  14. ievolve

tobex

If I was to go down this road I would consider this product from QNAP because it would provide the music server and handle the ARM based languages with good support for add-ons.

https://www.qnap.com/en-au/product/model.php?II=216&ref=product_overview

I am not sure if there is a limit to which models may handle Java. Some of the smaller servers have restrictions on the expansion modules. There is also a super-silent model aimed at the home theatre market. This model has HDMI output, music server and is capable of handling the software which runs on Raspberry Pi.

tobex, May 4, 2017
  15. ievolve

tobex

Hi Simonhac,

I am wary of enclosing batteries near my projects. The types of battery I want to use dont fit in a wall mount case. I know that wescomponents sell a 12V system which is much more efficient than a standard UPS because it runs 12V appliances at 12V and not through an inverter.

https://www.wes.com.au/login.aspx

They also sell those odd little right angled adaptors and cables.

I think boutique projects like these have some traction if they can appeal to a broad market. I like the fact that some of the DIN enclosures have expansion modules which may transfer the signals from the R-Pi board to the adjacent enclosure.

Because I can see a situation where the alarm people want to get something into or out of the R-Pi and people want to do some non-CBUS expansion.

Im thinking Siri and Alexa will be the norm in 2-3 years. I will assume the DIN fad will continue for the moment until something better comes along.

I have already begun speaking to an expert in CNC manufacture and want to handle the heat problem with a custom made heat sink (a monolithic block). One of the failings of this technology is the heat management. I was thinking thermal mass + a GPU fan.

This would in theory stabilise the temp to around 60C and give a good buffer to the 80C upper limit which cripples the R-Pi speeds.

I would be happy to supply the heatsink for consideration if such a thing becomes available. There is no production value in tiny heatsinks as they saturate in a few minutes.

It just so happens that this combination of parts perfectly matches the vent grille on my DIN casing and can still allow a HAT project on the side or above the board.

The Pheonix case also has a data rail option to an adjacent project.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
    tobex, May 4, 2017
  16. ievolve

ashleigh Moderator

Watch out using GPU fans. They have a design lifetime of about 3 years and then the bearings die. That's how often gamers replace their graphics cards.

Have a look around for a high-reliability fan. They do exist, but any design w/o a fan is even better.

Fans are horrible things.

ashleigh, May 4, 2017
  17. ievolve

tobex

Thats true, but the fan is just a secondary implement. A backup device. Hopefully the Raspberry Pi 4 incarnation will use an underclocked CPU.

Speaking of which, i think 70C makes a good base for a lava lamp.

Attached Files:

tobex, May 4, 2017
  18. ievolve

simonhac

tobex, i didn't know that heat management was an issue with the Pi. any pointers to a background on this?

(i'd be happy to underclock it, if possible, and wouldn't be using the GPU.)

-s

simonhac, May 4, 2017
  19. ievolve

simonhac

yep, schneider clearly can't get behind homebridge-cbus in any official capacity*, unless they want to become homekit certified, but as a user and developer i'm not fussed about the unofficial nature of homebridge...

i would really be surprised if apple pulls the plug, but if they were to do so, i'm confident that the entire (large) homebridge ecosystem would move quickly to amazon alexa/echo. in fact some folk are already working on alexa support. they do some strange things at apple (i've been a customer for 30 years) but i know they'd be watching alexa/echo closely, especially as they're reportedly on the verge of announcing their own similar system.

* if there's any appetite at scneider to get behind homekit-cbus in an unofficial capacity, i would love to hear and i'm sure anthony would too...

simonhac, May 4, 2017
  20. ievolve

cmlp

Homebridge support via nodejs / Gate

Hi all,

Looks like this has been covered already.

Given I already had a Raspberry Pi running C-gate connected to a PCI via usb-serial, it wasn't too hard to get homebridge-cbus up and running.

I've attached a screenshot from my iPhone showing some groups that I've added to the Apple Home app.

There's currently a bug with starting the homebridge-cbus plugin but I think the author will have that sorted shortly (see https://github.com/anthonywebb/homebridge-cbus/issues/48).

Attached Files:

cmlp, May 7, 2017
Ask a Question