Attaching 5500PC to existing system

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by IanCun, Nov 26, 2014.

1. IanCun

IanCun

I've got an existing wired C-Bus system with 5 dimmer units, but no programming interface. It was suggested in another thread that I take a look at getting a PC interface, so I'm considering it at the moment :).

If I bought a 5500PC and connected it to one of the existing dimmer units, would I be able to download the existing programming in to the toolkit so that I can modify things, or would I need to re-program the system from scratch?

IanCun, Nov 26, 2014
  2. IanCun

DarylMc

First thing I should say is that it would make things easier if you had done a basic CBus training course or find someone who has.
    You are probably going to be spending many hours stumbling through the software and CBus concepts on your own.

If you did get someone to help you they wouldn't necessarily have to be in your home.
    I don't know if many folks here do that sort of thing but it is certainly possible over the internet.
    PM me if you are interested.

Once your PC is connected to the CBus network you can use CBus Toolkit software to scan the network to add your project and all the unit programming to the database.
    Probably one of the first concepts you want to learn before making any changes is how to make a backup and set it aside somewhere you can find it.

CBus software downloads are here.
    http://www2.clipsal.com/cis/technical/downloads

There are excellent help files in all the CBus software so if you are going to jump in with no training I suggest you install CBus Toolkit and read through them.

I also recommend searching Google for a CBus basic training manual and having a read though that.

DarylMc, Nov 27, 2014
  3. IanCun

znelbok

You will be able to download the project, but you wont have any group names associated with the group addresses.

Part of your journey to learn it all will be assigning names to your groups that mean something. That will have to be trial and error for you - use the features of toolkit to work out which load the group turns on.

Read, play and have fun.

Mick

znelbok, Nov 27, 2014
  4. IanCun

IanCun

Thanks guys :). It's good to know that I can download the existing programming... just in case :eek::D.

IanCun, Nov 27, 2014
Ask a Question