Bathroom exhaust / Light / Heat

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by impact, Feb 14, 2010.

1. impact

impact

Been trying to get a Lucci bathroom exhaust fan / light / heat combo to work...

Of course all these combo units come with their own switches which normally require a common neutral to all functions and they switch on / off active.

Now this unit I have is to bright for itself... It appears to have a temp sensor in case the heat lamps get too hot, it I assumes ensures the fan is turned on - its a normally closed device - goes open when it gets too hot I assume (cant get it to go too hot - lol)

The fan also seems to have some capacitor in line as well...

My problem is I have 2 relays and 1 dimmer available for these functions - so I cant simply wire it up as easy as the supplied switch. Main problem is the common neutral -> My Cbus lines come from different neutral blocks (dimmer / relay) so joining them all up at this unit will cause untold problems with the cbus gear.

I have identified the individual neutrals and actives - can easily get the light and heat lamps going... but the fan is driving me mad - it does not make sense...

4 wires and an earth lead into the fan unit - what I have determined to be active / earth / neutral doesnt work... and that leaves a wire over anyway.... Inlcuding the extra smart components dont make a diff, maybe the unit does not work to begin with, but Ive spent too long on trying to get the fan to go...

The question here is ... Do you guys recommend a brand that is more cbus wiring friendly - ie. Clipsal 6500atp wiring instrunctions on pdf look simpler than the lucci, but can I get to the grouped neutral's and use them individually easily.

This thing made me go insane today (the sinus / head cold does not help one think either!)

Thanks

impact, Feb 14, 2010
  2. impact

Darpa

If you have pulled the unit apart, and seperated the neutrals for the heat lamps and light, so that you can feed them directly, without any of the other crap in the way, why not leave the fan wiring as it is inside the unit, and just connect the relelvant active/neutral/earth to the terminal strip on the outside of the unit, and then run that through a c-bus relay and see how it goes?

Also, it may be possible that if you have 4 wires, there might be a switched active, and a hard (always on, unswitched) active as well.

Darpa, Feb 14, 2010
  3. impact

impact

Thought that - a switched active and an always active active...

Tried dat.. Cheap chinese manufacturer - even the color of the wires does not give it away... sealed unit and cant inspect the actual motor in the fan.

Thats why Id thought Ill dump it and go with something else - but dont want a similar problem with another brand...

(Oh and the trusty old multimeter aint helping identify which is which)

impact, Feb 14, 2010
  4. impact

boganbill

IXL TASTIC lights work very well.

Put everything into a dimmer on the same phase, the cbus ac wave clipping will dim your lights and not effect the other functions. Personally the bathroom should have dimmable d/l and the tastic as a 5-10w compact fluro.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2010
    boganbill, Feb 24, 2010
  5. impact

Ashley W

Please explain? Compact fluro's are not dimmable and why put everything on a dimmer. Why not just use 3 or 4 channels on a relay unit?

Ashley W, Feb 24, 2010
Ask a Question