Broadcast messages on a C-Bus network

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dray, May 31, 2009.

1. dray

dray

Hi All,

(Please excuse any incorrect terminology and bizarre assumptions. I have only ever seen C-Bus gear in a display home and am trying to plan my automated home based on what I can glean from web research and forum questions)

I've read that certain devices broadcast information onto the C-Bus network - for example, the general input is able to broadcast information from an attached sensor onto the C-Bus network.

Can someone explain if this is really a broadcast message, analogous to sending out a packet to a network broadcast or multicast address in an IP networking, or whether it needs to send this information to a specific device? I'm trying to understand how this works relating the terms and concepts back to IP networking.

This question came about while researching how the C-Bus enabled homesafe alarm panel worked. It seems to 'broadcast' up to 16 configurable events onto the C-Bus network, but it does so by sending commands to a particular address group. I was hoping you could put a PAC on the network and have it monitor for something like 'zone 1 unsealed' and then based on the time of day do something exciting with a light... I suspect that you could probably make the homesafe panel send a bogus on/off/ramp whatever command to the PAC and have the logic engine do something based on the received event though...

Cheers,
    Dray.

dray, May 31, 2009
  2. dray

ashleigh Moderator

Broadcasts really are broadcasts.

Message are transmitted to an "Application Address" and anything subscribing to that application gets the message - to then further examine and process as it sees fit.

This is analogous to an IP multicast, but with a significant difference: the messages in cbus ARE ACKNOWLEDGED even though broadcast. This is a rather difficult thing to do - but it is done, thus broadcasts in C-Bus are reliable (retransmitted in the event of a failure, etc) unlike other systems where multicasts are unable to be treated as a reliable transport mechanism.

Things like the groups you see mentioned are to allow another dimension of segregation - once you have sent your message you need a method of allowing several such things to happen, and differentiating between them.

You idea of having an alarm panel send events, and pick them up with a logic engine is exactly what you are allowed to do with all this neat stuff.

ashleigh, May 31, 2009
Ask a Question