C-Bus/Paradox Interface

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by brodsky, Aug 7, 2023.

1. brodsky

brodsky

Hi everyone,
    Does anybody know if the C-Bus to Paradox interface directly via the PRT3 module still work or if it has been discontinued.
    We recently inherited a house with such an integration, had to replace the the PRT3 and can absolutely not get the interface to work again.
    Apparently the EVO was also recently changed, thus it is fairly new hardware.
    Paradox door mag need to switch on C-Bus light. We're using the virtual PGM's in Paradox.
    Tried to PRT3's, tested the original serial cable. Nothing want to work although everything seems okay.
    This installation was running like this for 10 years plus.
    BTW, we did search this forum for info already and followed the threads, but nothing seems to work.

Any advise will be welcomed.

brodsky, Aug 7, 2023
  2. brodsky

Pie Boy

Been a while since iv done anything on paradox but From memory, the prt3 has a couple of protocol methods, which need to be configured correctly to talk to cbus, I Think it’s called reporting method type or something like that, so I would check that in babyware.

I’m assuming there is a rs232 cable from the prt3 to a cbus interface of some kind?

Pie Boy, Aug 8, 2023
  3. brodsky

Pie Boy

— Supports ASCII / C-BUS protocol, But have to specify which one to use, maybe it is set to ASCII mode and not cbus mode?

Pie Boy, Aug 8, 2023
  4. brodsky

brodsky

Have set it accordingly, on Babyware as well as confirmed on keypad.
    At my wits end... The local Paradox guys don't know, neither the local Schneider guys. Wandering if Paradox still supports this integration? If someone knows?

brodsky, Aug 8, 2023
  5. brodsky

Pie Boy

i cant comment if paradox supports it or not, if it historically worked i don't see why it wouldn't continue to work.

For full testing i would suggest

1-
    check PRT3 options in BW
    -serial port enabled = ticked
    -Off:event reporting On:Home Automation = ticked
    -Baud rate = 9600
    -Home Automation = Clipsal C-bus Protocol

2-
    - set up a comport to a computer from the prt3 and open the comport with the appropriate baud rate with a program like Hercules or similar 232 emulator program etc then make the paradox conditions true for the PRT3 to send a command to cbus and see if its outputting any commands to the comport - may need to swap the rx ant tx pins of the 232 cable to receive commands

at minimum this will tell you if its a paradox config thing or a C-bus thing

3-
    for the cbus side
    - assuming it is an older type rs232 cbus PCI, try connect Cbus toolkit to this pci to verify it works as expected and it hasn't failed - unlikely but not impossible...

The only other thing i can think of is the cbus PCI can be set to a few different modes, someone else may be able to advise what these are and how to change them etc - i think this can be done with cbus diagnostic utility.
    but maybe somehow the PCI is in a mode that doesn't understand the data that the prt3 is sending if step 2 as above is working as expected.

although i have no idea what mode the PCI needs to be in for PRT3 to talk, might have to try them all, i think there's only 2 or 3 from memory....

I used to have evo48 and prt3 connected to cbus, think ive still got it knocking around in a box somewhere, if i get a chance ill spin it up and see how i get on, from memory its a bit fiddly to get going, a few parameters in a few places to configure.. virtual PGM's tied to a C-bus entry to send the cbus command.

Pie Boy, Aug 8, 2023
  6. brodsky

brodsky

Thanks Pie Boy,

The only device I haven't replaced is the PCI. Will get another one and test. This can't be that complex to get going. Will let you know

brodsky, Aug 8, 2023
  7. brodsky

Jez77

I believe the latest Paradox EVO192 firmware locks out the serial input from 3rd party control.
    No new panels I've used have had the latest firmware but it comes up as a warning if you try to update.
    You need to purchase a licence from Paradox to get around it.

Jez77, Aug 9, 2023
  8. brodsky

brodsky

Ah, that makes sense. I will look into that. Many thanks.

brodsky, Aug 9, 2023
  9. brodsky

Memphix

Its not common, but I had an old PCI last week not work.

Paradox serial input lockout refers to the onboard serial port, PRT3 module is not affected by this.

Memphix, Nov 8, 2023
Ask a Question