C-gate and Windows Home Server

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by paulwat, Apr 30, 2009.

1. paulwat

paulwat

Hi,

I am looking for some help regarding C-gate, my plan is to make use of the Pronto CBUS plug in for the Pronto 9600 such that i can control my lighting setup via the remote.

This setup requires C-gate to be running on an always on PC somewhere on the network which in turn talks to the CNI.

I currently have 2 questions/ issues to overcome
    1. Can C-Gate be installed on it's own without the ToolKit??
    2. Can C-Gate be installed on a Windows Home Server, as this my only 24/7 box and I'd ideally like to keep it that way

Many thanks in advance

Regards

Paul

paulwat, Apr 30, 2009
  2. paulwat

daniel C-Busser Moderator

Hi paulwat,

1. Currently C-Gate can only be installed by installing Toolkit. You can then go to Add-Remove Programs and uninstall the "Toolkit" entry. C-Gate is a separate entry and will remain on the system. I do want to release a stand-alone C-Gate installer at some date so stay tuned.

2. We don't target, test on or support Windows Home Server, so our official answer is "you are welcome to try it at your own risk". Having said that, it is based on a Windows Server 2003 core, and there does seem to be a way to install applications, so if you are familiar with the WHS interface and can negotiate any firewall and access issues, it seems possible. Certainly we'd appreciate any feedback to the community if you do try it.

Good luck :)

daniel, May 1, 2009
  3. paulwat

Darpa

Windows Home Server is basically identical to Windows Server 2003, so it will basically run anything that Windows XP will, with a few minor exceptions.

If you want to install programs on it, you will need to Remote Desktop into the machine, or log in locally (using a keyboard, mouse and monitor plugged directly in the WHS), but only if your WHS isn't the HP version, which doesnt have the ability to log in locally, and in that case you will have to use Remote Desktop to access the system without using the connector software installed on your PC that you usually use to administer the WHS.

I have installed many things on my WHS over time using this method, and never had any problems, so I would assume that C-Gate and Toolkit should install and run fine on your WHS as long as you install the dependencies required as well, as WHS is a very stripped down version of windows server 2003, and does not have alot of the normal "extras" installed on it by default.

Hope this helps

Darpa

Darpa, May 1, 2009
Ask a Question