C-Touch Beta Software

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by GeorgeKosmas, Jan 17, 2005.

1. GeorgeKosmas

GeorgeKosmas

I have downloaded the new c-touch beta 2.0.44 software and i have tried to download data to my test touch screen (Don't worry I have not tried this on job sites). The firmware has downloaded fine to the souch screen with not errors but the project data will not download at all. Whenever I try to download the config to the touchscreen it will come up with something like cannot download configuration.

Does anyone know how I can use the software on my touch screen? Its only for a test.

P.S. If anyone has dont the same thing and they are trying to put the v1.9 firmware back on the touch screen then you will have to downlaod the firmware twice as if you only do it once then you will click one button then the touch screen will think that you clicked another button somewhere else on the touch screen (if that makes any sence).

Regards
    George

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2005
    GeorgeKosmas, Jan 17, 2005
  2. GeorgeKosmas

Darren Senior Member

Darren, Jan 17, 2005
  3. GeorgeKosmas

GeorgeKosmas

Darren,
    Unfortunately this has not helped me. The closest thing to my problem is the part about the software has been written over 100 times to the touch screen (but I can still download the the old firmware and config back to the touchscreen with no errors). My problem is that the NEW firmeware downloads fine (100%), but the config file will not even start to install.

Am i doing anything wrong? I am downloading the config the exact same way that i do with the old software.

Regards
    George

GeorgeKosmas, Jan 18, 2005
  4. GeorgeKosmas

MikeW

George
    Are you using a staight serial cable or USB to serial?

MikeW, Jan 18, 2005
  5. GeorgeKosmas

GeorgeKosmas

I am using a usb to serial cable. But if that is the problem then why can i download the firmware and still download anything else i like with the old software?

Regards
    George

6. GeorgeKosmas

Darren Senior Member

There have been problems for some people with using USB to serial converters. We have not been able to determine the exact cause, but it appears that the converters are not exactly the same as using a normal serial port.

Do you have a serial port you can use ?

Darren, Jan 18, 2005
  7. GeorgeKosmas

GeorgeKosmas

Darren,
    OK, I will move my desktop computer next to the touch screen so that i can download it and i will tell you how it went.

Regards
    George

8. GeorgeKosmas

GeorgeKosmas

Darren,
    I tried using the propper comm port and it worked fine. It was a little annoying getting data files there. etc. but i eventually got it.

Is this issue going to be sorted out or is this problem just going to stay the same? Alot of people use laptops to program their c-bus and not laptops are not comming with comm ports anymore. I know there is the same problem with the IR transmitters but apparently a IR transmitter is going to be developed with a USB port (which will fix the problem with USB to Serial converters)

Regards
    George

GeorgeKosmas, Jan 19, 2005
  9. GeorgeKosmas

jay

We have had the same issues with USB to serial & downloading data to touch screens as George. The problem also occured for us with the previous beta version of c-touch software as well. Our USB to serial setup works without a hitch with toolkit but refuses to upload projects to touch screens using c-touch software (firmware uploads ok as George described). The touch screen also works fine in PC interface mode when using toolkit software (still using the same USB to serial setup).
    Could this issue be resolved in any of these ways:
    • Resolve the issue in the C-Touch software that is preventing a working USB to serial interface from transmitting the data.
    • Clipsal develop their own USB to RS232 cable that will be 100% compatable with their software & hardware ie. a cable with USB on one end & RJ45 serial on the other (as 99% of Laptops produced in the last 2 years do not have COM ports)
    • Enable projects to be uploaded by C-Bus (as we can connect via PC interface without problems)
    ???
    Any development in this area would be welcome!
    Cheers

jay, Jan 19, 2005
  10. GeorgeKosmas

Richo

Seems like the best solution if possible. Will talk to the S+ guys as I went through this exercise recently with the TICA software to greatly improve its reliability with USB adapters.

No need. The problem is related more the nature of USB than any specific adapter. If we made our own adapater the same changes would have ot be made in the software anyway.

This is not a solution as downloading via C-Bus takes a very long time and only suitable for some circumstances.

Richo, Jan 19, 2005
  11. GeorgeKosmas

jay

Thanks for your reply Richo. Hope you guys can sort the software issues out cause our only (decent) field laptop does not have a COM port. :(
    Cheers

jay, Jan 20, 2005
  12. GeorgeKosmas

coppo

Richo is right

CIS developing their own USB>RS232 lead is a waste of time.

Reasons:

1/ From trying various brands of USB>RSS232 adaptors it is obvious that
    they do not all work. This is demonstrated by the amount of "BS of Death"
    that we see in c-Bus training sessions and also system dumps/ restarts, caused by some USB adaptors.

This would indicate that it is a bigger problem than just CIS products.

2/ CIS already recommends the dontronics adaptor on its site, as we have had a good response with this ( FTDI chipset)
    up until now with these latest C-Touch inquiries. Based upon the amount of people who fail to use the "recommended"
    adaptor or for some reason are not aware of it.

CIS feels that if they made a USB>RS232 adaptor, when others are available
    from other manufacturers , that people in general will not bother to buy ours, and wholesalers
    are not going to keep them on their shelves ( to reduce your lead time).

Customers still don't buy the "dontronics" adaptor. From our experience people will buy
    adaptors where ever they are cheapest or easiest to get ( local dick smiths, etc ).

I think some of the aspects of USB compatibility in general have something to be said.

After all that is said i would suggest the best option is to further research the C-touch product itself and the whole serial driver emulation problem to see if the touchscreen can be more tolerant.

coppo, Jan 20, 2005
  13. GeorgeKosmas

Charlie Crackle

Some companies write good drivers....

I tested programing & downloading firmware to the new C-touch software via a DIGI1-SP.

http://www.digi.com/products/externaldeviceservers/digionesp.jsp

It is just a COM port redirector over IP (like the Lantronics)

It worked fine. Which proves that good com port emulation can be written just the people who write USB ones are not very good. I know it would be impossible to feed back to the developers but it is really a bug with the USB to serial software/hardware not CIS software.

It is a lot more expensive that a usb to serial cable ($270 inc gst) but you could plug it on a Xover cable on a laptop network port. :)

Also means you could program your touchscreen from the other side of the world if you liked !!!!(via IP)

Charles

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2005
    Charlie Crackle, Jan 20, 2005
  14. GeorgeKosmas

rhamer

Charles,

So Digi 1 SP + PCI = CNI?

Would probably work ok in v2 environment, because it uses a virtual comm port.

But I suspect the new version of C-Gate talk directly to the CNI (if that is what you have setup) without the need for the virtual comm port.

Rohan

rhamer, Jan 21, 2005
  15. GeorgeKosmas

Charlie Crackle

digi1SP + PCI = PCI with a "Long Serial Cable"

Will work with c-gate configured as a PCI via serial

New toolkit/Cbus Diag software/CGate can all talk to CNI direct (No emulaton required) There is no advantage in speed that I can see.

What is handy is a digi4SP. This emulates 4 coms ports.
    you can then plug 1 to minder 1 to touch screen 2 to 2 xPCI's

You can then program/control anything from anywhere....

One advantage.... over a CNI

Cbus CNI requires power.
    Digi have a version of there Digi1SP that supports 802.11af (Inline power over ethernet) if you have a 802.11af capable switch it can supply power to the digi over the ethernet. The PCI requires no power so you can install both in a location that has no 240v

Charles

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2005
    Charlie Crackle, Jan 21, 2005
Ask a Question