Can’t write scenes to eDLT from toolkit.

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by cBus-newbie, Oct 10, 2023.

1. cBus-newbie

cBus-newbie

I’m new to programming Cbus and I’m really hoping I can pick someones brains on issues I’m having with a new 5085EDLTB.

I’m currently in the process of upgrading an old 5000CT touchscreen with a new eDLT and I’ve spend a lot of time troubleshooting issues with no success.

Basically I can configure the new eDLT to perform as an elaborate light switch but when it comes to setting up scenes I’m constantly hitting a brick wall. The scenes are configured correctly in toolkit and can be saved to the database, but when I push them to the unit on the network I get a generic communication error.

Over the course of about 5 hours I’ve tried reconfiguring the switch, restoring it to factory settings, increasing the timeout setting in the c-gate configurations window, you name it I’ve tried it.

As part of the trouble shooting I have simply now set up one test scene (with only 2 lighting groups) with a simple on/off control. When pushing this scene to the unit it would fail after 6%. I thought it might be a timeout issue as there was no error code simple a message that said check the network communication. After increasing the timeout within the c-gate config panel I thought I’d solved it but it would then time out around the 46% mark.

In addition to this, once I’d attempted pushing a scene to the unit a couple of times the communication really slowed down to the point of then throwing the same error when I was trying to configure a simple light switch. What did happen though was that toolkit was showing the scene on the eDLT unit on both database and network side, but when you checked the unit it had the panel and the scene icon and nothing else (so obviously some data is getting to the unit).

After a few attempts even trying to delete the scene off the eDLT unit would throw the same error.

I can’t find any reference to timeout errors or communication errors. From what I've read setting up scenes should be relatively straight forward, so all this is leading me to believe it might be a hardware issue.

The only other thing I can try is connecting the unit to another light switch cable to see if its a wiring issue.

I’m using toolkit version 1.16.3 and the latest firmware 1.7 on the eDLT (running hardware version 3).

I’d really appreciate any advice help before I tear out the little hair that I have left.

cBus-newbie, Oct 10, 2023
  2. cBus-newbie

Trevor

Try checking the list of software available at the clipsal website, make sure you have matching software and hardware versions.

Trevor, Oct 11, 2023
  3. cBus-newbie

cBus-newbie

Thanks Trevor

I've checked everything. Hardware version 3... running latest firmware 1.7 and toolkit 1.16.3. All the latest recommended versions from clipsal.

What I do know is that I've eliminated it being a hardware or wiring issue as I got my hands on a second 5085EDLTB tried it at the same location and a different location on the network all with the same issue.

It seems to be a load issue, I can commission the unit by writing individual switches one at a time, but if I try and write a whole unit or individual scenes if fails, no error number (however it did throw a 41920 error at some point today).

cBus-newbie, Oct 12, 2023
  4. cBus-newbie

Trevor

Its time to ask Ashley, the Cbus expert, you can also try to get your problem checked at Clipsal direct, they may be able ro help if they still do support for it there.

Trevor, Oct 12, 2023
  5. cBus-newbie

Wonkey

What's the voltage at the eDLT, If its less than 22 V I suggest an addition PSU.

Wonkey, Oct 16, 2023
  6. cBus-newbie

oracle

with the edlt arer you writing to all? or changes?

reset unit in toolkit and write to all them try to reconfigure after reading unit from network.

oracle, Oct 22, 2023
  7. cBus-newbie

Trevor

Hi,
    In replying to Wonkey, also check that the cbus voltage is balanced... cbus plus and minus to ground.

Trevor, Oct 23, 2023
  8. cBus-newbie

cBus-newbie

Thanks all. Voltage is balanced. As mentioned this is a straight switch from the old school touchscreen. Voltage to the unit 31.1

Cbus tech team haven't seen this issue before with the v3 hardware, so everyone seems to be stumped. They've suggested reducing the load on the network by removing a number of the units. Which is a complete pain in the arse but possibly my only way forward.

cBus-newbie, Oct 24, 2023
  9. cBus-newbie

cBus-newbie

SOLVED. So it seems that somehow the hardware burden on the system had been damaged. Once removed and a software burden turned on I could commission the eDLT correctly.

Now I'll set about getting a new hardware burden.

cBus-newbie, Oct 24, 2023
Ask a Question