can i programming before installation?

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by discjockeyr, Mar 5, 2008.

1. discjockeyr

discjockeyr

Hello,

I have almost all the units (inputs, outputs) and i would like to know if is possible to programme the units with toolkit before the installation so to have all the units ready. Actually i thing that this is possible but i would like the opinion from any advance user and if is possible any guide how to do that. I have download the latest toolkit but i did not find a way to add manually a barcode. I will apriciate any help.
    Thanks in advance

discjockeyr, Mar 5, 2008
  2. discjockeyr

MIB

Hi DJ,

You certainly can program units using Toolkit, before they're in the walls ? at least, units in Toolkit that are in the database.

If you know exactly what units you are using and what their serial numbers are, you can create a project and network in Toolkit. Then, on the Units node, click the "Add Unit" button and add all the units you're using. At this point, you can add the units' serial numbers.

Once you've added all of your units to the database, you can double-click them each, and start programming them.

Then, when you get on site, you can connect your PC up to C-Bus and scan the network. If the serial numbers of the units are matched not he network and database, you can easily transfer the programming of your database units directly to the network.

Hope this helps. If you need more help, you can always reply here, or take a look at the Toolkit help, which should help you out. (Just hit F1 when in Toolkit and do a search).

MIB, Mar 5, 2008
  3. discjockeyr

discjockeyr

Thanks a lot for your reply and the usefull informations.
    Please also can you let me know, there is a field "Firmware Version". Do i have to enter anything there or when i scan the network it will be entered automatically?

Thanks

discjockeyr, Mar 5, 2008
  4. discjockeyr

ashleigh Moderator

Just accept the default for the firmware version. 95% of the time that will be right, it's only if you have an older unit that it will become important.

ashleigh, Mar 5, 2008
  5. discjockeyr

discjockeyr

my NEO switches have date Jan 2007. is there any recommended firmware to select from the drop down list? the list have the below options:
    1.4, 1.6, 1.7, 1.8, 2.0
    by default is selected the 1.8

discjockeyr, Mar 5, 2008
  6. discjockeyr

daniel C-Busser Moderator

That's fine, discjockeyr.

Later on when you connect to the installed units you will be able to reconcile (fix) the Firmware Versions in the database.

daniel, Mar 5, 2008
  7. discjockeyr

JohnC

As an "old-school" C-Bus user, i always program the units before they go to site. I am too lazy to do it any other way. Building sites are hot, dusty, noisy and there is nowhere comfortable to sit.

My desk is cleaner, quieter, the chair is comfortable and there's air conditioning - much nicer! I just use those little stickers to denote which device goes where, I preset all the outputs and then provide the electricians with an installation instruction sheet.

The advantage of doing things that way is that (if they do everything in accordance with instructions) the project is up and running without me even attending the site. Then later I go and do the logic, touchscreen install and final software tweaks with the client.

JohnC, Mar 11, 2008
  8. discjockeyr

Jesmond

Hey JohnC

I used to do it your way as well, but that meant I would have to unpack all the equipment, connect it all, program up and then pack it all up again. Isn't that a very big over head time wise ?

Or is there an easier way to down load the program to the units ?

Jesmond, Mar 12, 2008
  9. discjockeyr

discjockeyr

hi Jesmond,

You can do all the programming based on the serial number of each device without connect the units. Then when you install the units you can sent all the programming stored in the toolkit database to the units, so everything are ready. Any advance user can correct me if i am wrong

discjockeyr, Mar 12, 2008
  10. discjockeyr

ICS-GS

Never thought of you as the 'glory boy' John!:p So it's true you don't like dirt under your fingernails?:eek:

But as discjockeyr says with the serial number now on the box, you do not have to unpack anything (except each piece of equipment from the freight carton).

ICS-GS, Mar 12, 2008
  11. discjockeyr

Jesmond

Guys,

Just to clarify, using the serial number method you must go onsite to download the software to the network before anything will work. Doing it the way JohnC stated you don't need to go onsite as long as the sparky hsa installed the items in the right location. This is becaause the items are already programmed, but you must unpack, connect, download and pack.

Hope this helps, its the old testbench method !!!!

Jesmond, Mar 13, 2008
  12. discjockeyr

JohnC

Yep, I am the glory guy who gets paid the big bucks. I have technicians who actually do the work :rolleyes: But the reality is that I don't have an electrical licence, so I can't legally do any 240V work.

I document the entire job up-front, pre-program everything and then send the stuff to site, to be installed by others. As Jesmond says, as soon as all the bits are connected, the network will work! This is a massive advantage on-site, as they can install in stages, use the lights for temporary lighting, etc.

The big advantage for me is that I can get all the controls running during the early part of the construction phase, and only attend site once the client is ready to move in, usually many months later. And remember - since everything is pre-programmed the labour to install need not be skilled, they only need to understand the very basics and follow a simple wiring diagram - this saves cost.

I guess it depends on the circumstances - if you are the installer anyway then my method doesn't save any time. But if you are the designer and programmer like me, you can deliver a complete system to site that works "straight out of the box" - which is a big advantage when you are not physically close to the site, or too busy / lazy / elite to go there in person. The OH+S risk of dirty or broken fingernails is very high on most projects :D

JohnC, Mar 14, 2008
  13. discjockeyr

ICS-GS

couldn't agree more!

BTW John, may missus has a fantastic nail lady, did you want thye details:p

ICS-GS, Mar 15, 2008
Ask a Question