Can we have 255 back Please

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ross, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Ross

Ross

Hi,
    Can we please have the ability to re-program any unit back to 255 please. It is just a tad annoying not being able to make this change.

Thanks.

Ross, Feb 13, 2008
  2. Ross

Richo

I'm not sure I understand what "back to 255" means in the context of a Unit. Is that different to what the "reset unit" button on each Units dialog does?

Richo, Feb 13, 2008
  3. Ross

Ross

Hi Richo,
    If I have a unit I want to set to 255, with the latest toolkit I can't. It stops at 254. Personally I prefer FF but thats another story.

Ross, Feb 13, 2008
  4. Ross

Richo

Oh I see, you want to set the unit address to 255. Out of interest why? Toolkit tries to keep 255 clear as that is the default for new units and it makes some assumptions about units at 255 that might cause some headaches if you aren't careful.

Is this to make the unit appear like a new unit on the network?

Richo, Feb 13, 2008
  5. Ross

Ross

Surely you jest Richo.

It?s convenient to have full access to all 255 address?s for a number of reasons. One reason maybe that one would like to remove a unit from a network, for a number of reasons and return its original state to 255. I can think of others, but trying to make c-bus idiot proof for want of a better term by removing this option just makes the installers life harder, as if it isn?t hard enough.

We need low level access to the whole network address range, how this could be conceived as a possible headache I find hard to understand. Address conflicts can be resolved for those that need them already. Convenience of not having to fire up version 1.6 or God forbid CbusV2 to get access to this address is a case in point. If you wouldn?t mind turning it back on, I would be grateful. If not then I will continue to work around the issue that has been created by hiding it.

Maybe supply toolkit, default with it turned off or hidden, but have a gui with a radio button that says, ?give all 255? if you must. Maybe Tech support could help with feedback from the populous with regard to having 255 back on the table as an issue. I can?t be alone, can I?

Thanks for the hearing and yes I am careful or at least try to be.

Ross, Feb 13, 2008
  6. Ross

ashleigh Moderator

You are both right :)

Unit Address "255" is the factory default but is otherwise a perfectly valid address.

The ability to set a unit to it was removed because it seemed a good idea at the time.

Oh dear, such are the ways of these things... it turns out to be something of a pain not having it. :eek:

A new version of Toolkit is coming out very very very very very soon, and I'm 99% sure this issue has been corrected in that version.

Ross - a few sleeps and your wish should be granted. :D

ashleigh, Feb 13, 2008
  7. Ross

Ross

Thanks Ashleigh and Richo.

Ross, Feb 13, 2008
Ask a Question