Can't Connect to Wiser After Project Update

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wiser 1 Controller' started by jason.hill, Jan 11, 2019.

1. jason.hill

jason.hill

I have updated our wiser system numerous times using PICED without any problems but after the last update, the wiser system is no longer accessible. It seems like it might be repeatedly rebooting because the power light comes on followed by the connected LAN ports and then after about 10-20 seconds, the power light blinks once and then ALL of the other lights come on briefly and then go off, leaving just the power light. This cycle keeps repeating itself and I couldn't ping the IP address of the wiser unit.

I thought I would try a factory reset of the wiser unit but it's unclear how you actually achieve that. If I just hold in the reset button while the unit is powered on, nothing happens. If I power off the unit and then hold the reset button while powering it back on then it seems like it does some form of reset because the 2.4G light is now on and the unit doesn't keep recycling like it did before.

So, I assume it should be back to the default IP address of 192.168.2.1, so I connected my computer to one of the LAN ports and manually set my IP address to 192.168.2.3. But, I still can't ping 192.168.2.1 as it comes back with destination host unreachable.

Help! Does anyone know how I can restore the wiser unit back to factory settings so that I can configure it again?

jason.hill, Jan 11, 2019
  2. jason.hill

Ashley

Assuming it's the original Wiser, to reset the it, unplug it, push in the reset button with a paper clip or whatever, power it up while holding the button in and keep holding for 10 seconds. Then release it and wait about 30 seconds. It should do a factory reset back to 192.168.2.1. If this doesn't work it has other problems. It is always worth checking the voltage coming from the plug pack (with the Wiser connected), as flaky power supplies are a common source of problems.

Ashley, Jan 12, 2019
  3. jason.hill

jason.hill

Thanks for your help Ashley. It's the white Wiser 1 WHC_5918A. Apparently, this was an interim model and it has a combined WPS/Reset button.

I tried holding the reset button and then powering on and some form of reset appears to be happening as the 2.4G button lights up and that was previously disabled.

Weirdly, the unit eventually started working again (on the original IP address and with the original project settings) but with wireless still enabled so it did some form of partial reset but maintained the LAN and project settings.

But, I then tried a couple of project updates as a test and the first one worked but the second bombed it out and left it inaccessible again. So, I am trying to figure out what I did to get it working again and why the project update is messing it up.

I still seem unable to do a full factory reset including setting it back to a fixed IP of 192.168.2.1.

jason.hill, Jan 12, 2019
Ask a Question