Cbus 5% Price Increase

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nathan, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Nathan

Nathan

Admin This is not needless dumping on other users, swearing, cursing, or generally causing offence but im just informing all user that there is a price rise on cbus products of 5% effective 2nd April. This post is to allow all user to make sure this price increase is allowed for future quotes.

Nathan, Feb 28, 2007
  2. Nathan

Phil.H

Hey Nathan,

Don't apologise for bringing a price rise to the attention of people who are selling C-Bus on behalf of Clipsal. Seeing as the Clipsal trade price guide is almost the bible of the electrical industry if there is a price rise of the most expensive product range within the TPG, before the TPG is updated, I am sure Clipsal would want as many people to know as possible so there is no one left out in the cold.

Are you sure about this price rise ???

PS Admin, when nobody was watching Nathan dumped on me, swore at me and cursed at me, this generally caused me offence, would you mind addressing this for me ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2007
    Phil.H, Mar 1, 2007
  3. Nathan

Duncan

Hi Phil,

Done! He's been promoted to Senior Member.

Duncan, Mar 1, 2007
  4. Nathan

darrenblake

Price increase

Phil H

Confirmed - another 5% hike in prices
    Must be due to the American / Iran conflict!!!!

darrenblake, Mar 1, 2007
  5. Nathan

PSC

Admin, this is not needless dumping on Nathan, Phil, Darren, CIS or the Admin. It's not swearing, cursing, or generally causing offence but can someone from CIS please justify the annual 5% price hike?

This 5% increased has happened every year for the last 6 years that I can remember.

Please do not blame the drought, high oil prices, El Nino, global warming, the conflict in Iraq or the Australian cricket team for losing their last five one internationals!

I find it difficult to understand such a price rise as the national CPI average price indexes for the last 4 years are as follows -

2002/03 +3.1%
    2003/04 +2.4%
    2004/05 +2.4%
    2005/06 +3.2%

And now that the majority of the C-Bus product is being manufactured in China, I can't understand such a price rise.

I think a 5% reduction would be closer to the mark...

PSC, Mar 1, 2007
  6. Nathan

Phil.H

Darren, Thanks for the confirmation. Initial info by Nathan, confirmed by Darren, both guys switched on (get it :p ). I always thought dramas in the middle east mainly affected oil prices ??
    PS don't forget when you are in town next.....

Duncan, Thanks for addressing the "Nathan Situation" your timing was excellent (post 101) ;)

Phil.H, Mar 1, 2007
  7. Nathan

mattfurlong

Where exactly can I find a price guide for cbus gear??

Prices will play a large part in just how big/small I start out in my upcoming cbus implementation!

mattfurlong, Mar 1, 2007
  8. Nathan

ashleigh Moderator

PSC - there is no point putting a vent here demanding that price rises be justified.

Those in CIS engineering who come past here and take a look now and again HAVE NO SAY AND NO EFFECT on prices or where product is or is not manufactured.

Commercial decisions are something you should take up privately with those who make such decisions.

ashleigh, Mar 1, 2007
  9. Nathan

Nathan

Phil

You know i would never dump on you. Even though you made me wait 3 years to get Approved Installer status.

Not only the 5% C-bus but the following to other sectors

Advice No. 01/07
    We wish to formally advise of a General Price Revision, effective Monday 2nd April 2007.
    Price increases have been kept to a minimum to offset significant increases in all major costs associated with our manufacturing and distribution operations, in particular substantial increases in raw materials, metals/plastics, labour and freight costs have necessitated this price revision.
    Prices in general will move up by 10.2%, excluding C-Bus, which will move by 5%. Increases to our fast moving lines have been held below these amounts at 4.8%. Please find attached a list of our fast moving lines (refer to Appendix A).
    All new trade pricing will be supplied to you in detail in your customised price file.
    April 2007 Trade Product Guide
    A new Trade Product Guide will be available in April.
    Once again, we will be including a large quantity of exciting new products applicable to all segments of our business. Separately, our sales team will update you on these.
    Alfred Platinum 2007 eCatalogue
    Keep an eye out for our very popular Alfred Platinum CD-ROM. The feedback we received from the 2006 Alfred ?Good to Great? competition has given us the opportunity to offer more features you have asked for. In particular look for new features in product search and quotes. Alfred 2007 will be automatically sent to all current Alfred users.
    In 2007 we continue our focus of delivering high quality products and service into the market place, we are committed to continuing to raise the awareness and demand for the many new technologies and product ranges we have recently introduced. We look forward to continuing to serve and support you as we work together to continue the growth of the electrical industry.
    Yours Sincerely,
    CLIPSAL AUSTRALIA PTY LTD

Nathan, Mar 2, 2007
  10. Nathan

Phil.H

Made you wait 3 years ??? It doesn't work that way and you know it. Applicants changing jobs (ring a bell ?), C-Bus reps moving on etc, can slow things down but in the end it is up to the applicant to cover the necessary bases.

A paper bag with used notes $ placed in the top drawer does not hurt, but obviously this did not happen either :p

I understand you do very good work and have a good reputation in your area, if you feel hard done by I suggest you talk to your local C-Bus rep. I can only help you with FREE! load shed logic and the like :D

Phil.H, Mar 2, 2007
  11. Nathan

2SC

A different perspective

In my opinion 5% increase won?t make a difference especially if Clipsal was trying harder to give its clients ? partners more new products and solutions; don?t forget how many threads began here about thermostats and curtain control.

As a friend told me, ?in the end it?s about getting the best result for your customers and allowing you to make a good living along the way.?

2SC, Mar 2, 2007
  12. Nathan

PSC

My concern is monopolies (not the board game).

We see it here in Australia, Microsoft, Coles & Woolworths, Shell & Caltex to name a few.

These companies have monopolised the market. Once they have achieved this goal they call the shots, not the consumer. This is always a concern regardless of the industry - lack of competition. Lack of competition = higher prices.

Don't get me wrong; I think C-Bus is a great product, I use it every day. I make a living out of this product, but sometimes a bit of competition makes for a healthier environment.

PSC, Mar 2, 2007
  13. Nathan

marka

price increase

i heard a little whisper the other day that all the pricing is changing for the wholesalers as well.(eg less discounting)
    i think the product is great and they need to keep developing new products etc, but its a bit unfair to just increse-incrase -increase when lately the quality has been slipping.
    nathan
    as for 3 years - not bad
    this year is my 4th
    3 reps
    lots of pictures
    10-15 site inspections
    dozens of phone calls etc etc etc
    starting to lose faith
    wont stop using the product but its a bit annoying

marka, Mar 2, 2007
  14. Nathan

Leigh

I find it a little strange that C-Bus prices keep rising.

For most electronic technology, the price normally falls over time, as market penetration increases, development costs are covered and the volume of products manufactured reduces costs.

I would have expected at least some of the more mature C-Bus products to be a lot cheaper by now.

Leigh, Mar 3, 2007
  15. Nathan

Nick Mullins

Price rise delagation of funds

Hopefully the price rise can go towards a faster boat from china for the product so that the contactors doesnt have to wait so long for stock to arrive in the country.Cbus is meant to be a Premium product so hopfully this year the guys that control stock levels get there S?*#T Together.

Nick Mullins, Mar 3, 2007
  16. Nathan

Phil.H

In most cases you would expect maturing technology products that have a growing market presence to come down in price to the market. Just look at computer gear, plasma's etc. One of the big issues of C-Bus pricing defying gravity is the very market it is sold into. The electrical contracting industry in general expects a "list price" then they work from there in terms of trade discount. In the electrical industry trade less 60-70% percent for say circuit protection, is not uncommon. Being a person from the security industry originally where list or trade price is the price you pay (you get minor discounts for volume etc) it took a while to get my head around this industry.
    The electrical wholesalers are special for this. The fundamental concept of the wholesaler is to sell volume at small margin. Because their margins are small they cannot afford to contribute to aspects around the sale - design, commission etc because they would loose money. If the wholesaler wants to reduce their cost of product they essentially have to move larger volume to still make money. If you give a wholesaler more margin in time market forces will see them trade that additional margin into the market then they will put their hand out again. One of the big forces behind all this is the construction industry which is largely based on cutting costs which usually means quality and make it cheaper than last time. With all this mess you only need less than perfect business management around manufacturing and selling electrical products and you will see the market value of your products pulled down.
    I forgot to mention the electrical industry seems to be hell bent on cutting each others throats as opposed to say plumbers who maintain value in their industry. You only have to look at how the legal profession conspire to rip the whole world off.
    So, you have the contractor undercutting the guy next door, the builder getting the contractor undercut buy another undercutting contractor, the wholesaler cutting margin to the line to get their volume, and a bit of difficult manufacturing management. All this equals product value going down. Quick fix = push up the base (trade / list) price. The constant price rises are offset by the constant growth in discounts.
    You would not get smart lawyers stuffing their own industry like this ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2007
    Phil.H, Mar 3, 2007
  17. Nathan

ICS-GS

Could not agree more phil.

ICS-GS, Mar 15, 2007
Ask a Question