CBUS to X10 or other power line

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by UK Household Automation, Sep 22, 2004.

1. UK Household Automation

UK Household Automation

I am well aware that Minder has an X10 interface.

Can I connect X10 to Cbus direct I know it can be done but has anybody ever done this and if so how - via the PCI interface i suppose!

I'm well aware of the pitfalls of X10 no need to tell me about that BUT x10 does have a place in the market an i have a customer with a new extension we are installing CBUS in the new extension but he has X10 alrewady in place in the main house.

UK Household Automation, Sep 22, 2004
  2. UK Household Automation

UK Household Automation

X10 or not

I take it that no body has had anything to do with X10 interface to CBUS then?

UK Household Automation, Sep 23, 2004
  3. UK Household Automation

Ross

UKperson,
    X10 and C-Bus should never be used in the same sentence, with one exception.
    Unless there is a Minder in the middle.
    Hope this clears it up for you.
    Cheers

Ross, Sep 23, 2004
  4. UK Household Automation

UK Household Automation

CBUS to X10

Like I say I'm well aware of the pitfalls of X10 and the fact that you get what you pay for...... However. The Minder solution is NOT cost effective (to get CBUS to talk to minder to talk to X10 would cost ?350) and adds too many threads to the system.

Could I program the PCI interface to talk to the X10 232 interface!

The virtue of X10 is that for a situation where the mains supply can be isolated e.g. garages outside lighting etc the system is relaible and extremely cost effective.

UK Household Automation, Oct 5, 2004
  5. UK Household Automation

rhamer

I think you will find it's the cheapest way to do it.

Otherwise you would have to break them out into contact closures and contact inputs in both directions.

Rohan

rhamer, Oct 7, 2004
  6. UK Household Automation

Newman

No, the PC Interface is not a programmable device, except for the things like clock and burden settings. It provides a serial interface to the C-Bus system only.

Newman, Oct 12, 2004
  7. UK Household Automation

KevinH

You could install a C-Bus to xAP gateway which is a standalone embedded C controller that allows control/monitoring of C-Bus over Ethernet using the xAP protocol . There is also a xAP to X10 application which runs on a PC and you directly attach your X10 serial interface to that. Uisng a xAP program called "Mapper" you would link two xAP devices one of which was a C-Bus group and one an X10 device. Now switching the C-Bus group would change the X10 load or sending and X10 command would switch the C-Bus load.

Incidently there is also a xAP to HomeSeer plugin which would allow you to control / schedule / script C-Bus from the HomeSeer Home Automation application via teh xAP/C-Bus gateway.

xAP is a 'free' open protocol for Home Automation applications

Mixing X10 and C-Bus is not rewarding though - you get spoilt by C-Bus - I am not sure perhaps you are migrating from X10 to C-Bus or have an existing X10 setup that needs bringing into the fold perhaps or something ??

K

KevinH, Oct 13, 2004
  8. UK Household Automation

BeoLinker

Hi

I too posted a the question some time ago which got much the same response!

In my case; after a total rewire I have a set of LED lighting that the electrician "forgot" to wire back to the C-Bus relays and is instead on a secondary ring main. To pull the cable now is not an option given the extensive refit.

As I see it I have 3 options; 1) RF, 2) X10 and 3) keep em on all the time and replace em when they expire! (current used)

There is no economic way, as I can see, of doing this using C-Bus kit, which I am in preference; hence a valid reason to use (the inferior-better get that in now) X10 protocol via a mains plug controller I think?

I'm not an expert on X10 but if there were a powered controller to trigger the on/off could this not be cabled to a relay channel?

Cheers
    Greg...

ps. dont know what Comfort have to offer but they have an "approved / C-Bus Enabled" gateway to cross-over to C-Bus that maybe an option?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2004
    BeoLinker, Oct 30, 2004
  9. UK Household Automation

Frank Mc Alinden

Hi Greg
    Could you not use the new Clipsal wireless appliance module ..???

Frank

Frank Mc Alinden, Oct 30, 2004
  10. UK Household Automation

BeoLinker

Frank,

I take it this is a wind up given the multi-room audio thread right?

Cheers
    Greg...

BeoLinker, Oct 30, 2004
  11. UK Household Automation

Frank Mc Alinden

I take it this is a wind up given the multi-room audio thread right?

Are you thinking im pulling your leg ??....I have a plugin dimmer and a remote
    which i got at the melbourne launch the other night....The remote is a cracker
    wish they had one for ir........
    Frank

12. UK Household Automation

BeoLinker

Frank,

Can it only be controlled by IR or is there a way of getting "into" the C-Bus network?

Cheers
    Greg..

BeoLinker, Oct 30, 2004
  13. UK Household Automation

Frank Mc Alinden

Greg its not ir controlled its RF controlled ... i said "i wish" it was also available in ir format.....YES you can control it via the CBUS system but requires the Wireless Gateway to do so....With the wireless Gateway you can control devices from both the wired and the wirless networks...Happy ;-)

Frank

14. UK Household Automation

Duncan

Hi Greg,

Actually it cant be controlled via IR :)

It can only be controlled via RF. Sources of RF control could be the new C-Bus Wireless Remote Control, another C-Bus Wireless I/O Unit such as a wallplate, or the C-Bus Wireless Gateway, the Gateway connects a C-Bus CAT5 network to a C-Bus Wireless Network. For all intents and purposes its acts much the same as a C-Bus Bridge, you can connect applications together on the 2 networks allowing Groups in Wireless world to be controlled from the CAT5 side and Vice-versa..

Needless to say, it rocks! I have a hybrid network at home interconnected with the Gateway. All of my switch plates are Wireless and I have the Gateway to allow my Multisensors and Touchscreens to work with the loads in Wireless World.. I also have around 10 of the plug adaptors scattered through the house controlling lamps.

Duncan, Oct 30, 2004
Ask a Question