CBus transformers

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Jenny, Aug 19, 2023.

1. Jenny

Jenny

I am seeking a replacement solution to hardware that has becoming unsupported and impossible to buy (Dichroic Halogen MR16 & Tridonic Atco 50W 12V Halogen 240 V transformer) I would like to swap from halogen to LED but LEDs tend to flicker when dimmed. We have a transformer that is not working and each electrical supplier has said that the Tridonic is no longer available and all are unsure if similar halogen compatible will work with CBus. I have a CBus sparky coming next week but I don’t like what he told me. We have beautiful stainless steel fittings and he is suggesting we take them out and replace with LED units that are connected directly to a transformer. These are throw away units and I can’t see how they will work in some slab fittings that have a remote transformer and I like our 12 year old, very expensive stainless steel fittings. I am on a steep learning curve here so my direct questions are:
    1. Is it the transformer, the touch switch or the relay that makes the LED dimmable lights flicker in the CBus system?
    2. Can I mix LED’s with halogens that are on the same transformer?
    3. Should I start replacing the halogen transformers with LED transformers as they fail and will the LED transformer work on the CBus system?
    4. I have just paid $400 for a 4 gang Saturn 5084NL, GF that cost $200 12 years ago. Where do I go next with a system that appears to have become obsolete too soon and replacement is becoming costly and hard to find?

Jenny, Aug 19, 2023
  2. Jenny

Ashley

Any quality halogen transformer designed for MR16 globes will work with Cbus. Depending on the the Cbus dimmer you are using, there is a limit of the number of transformers you can wire onto a single channel (.i.e. how many light go on when you press the switch).

It is a combination of the Cbus dimmer, the transformer/led driver, and the Led itself. There are 2 types of Cbus dimmers, called leading edge and universal. Universal dimmers work best, but both can give satisfactory results with quality transformers and leds. Note that you will never get leds to dim as well as halogen bulbs. Dimming leds via phase control dimming (which is what every domestic application uses) is a major fudge to try and maintain compatibility with existing dimmers. There are properly led dimming solution but they are expensive.

You can't use a single transformer to run both led and halogen, but you can use separate transformer wired to the same Cbus channel.

Depends on what you want. If you are trying to save on your power bill, then moving to leds is a good idea. You will just have to compromise on the dimming performance. Otherwise just stick to halogen. I have left halogen in areas I want good dimming (like my theatre), and put leds in less critical locations.

That's just inflation for you. Most things have probably doubled in price over the last 12 years. Cbus gear is readily available from good suppliers and is extremely reliable. The introduction of led lighting has complicated things. If you really want to go led you are better of replacing the dimmers with universal ones (assuming you don't already have those) and you will get better results from quality leds. If you have a search around the forums there a many post talking about good leds that work with cbus. You also need an electrician familiar with cbus. Those that aren't will not give you good advice.

Ashley, Aug 19, 2023
  3. Jenny

Jenny

Thank you Ashley for providing these helpful answers. I feel prepared for my conversation with the Sparky this week. Your suggestion to use LEDs in non dimmable circuits is a good one and thank you for clearing up the transformer compatibility issue. My grateful appreciation for taking the time to answer my basic questions!.

Jenny, Aug 20, 2023
Ask a Question