Compact DIN load isolation switches?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fleetz, Dec 29, 2006.

1. fleetz

fleetz

I am currently planning an installation on a new house. Currently I have 3 5508D1A and 3 x 5512RVF. I am have an electrician put them in and would like to have the ability to isolate the dimmer loads from the dimmer units.

I am locating the 3 dimmers in a Clipsal 4C48FD housing which has 4 x 12DIN slots. What would be nice is finding a compact solution where the 24 dimmer loads can be isolated within 1 x 12 postion DIN slot. These do not have MCB functionality, just the ability to isolate the load from the respective dimmer.

Is there such a device? If so which brand do you recommend. I have heard of "knife blade" type switches but can't seem to find a source.

Thanks,

Fleetz

fleetz, Dec 29, 2006
  2. fleetz

Clinton's Electrical

Are You Refering To Circuit Breakers. Coz The Normal DIN RAil Breaker is About 19mm Wide And You Can Get CBI DIN Breakers That Are 13mm Wide www.cbi.co.za That might Be An option, ive Done It So Each Load is Protected:rolleyes: Hope This Helps Cheers Clinton , South Africa

Clinton's Electrical, Dec 29, 2006
  3. fleetz

fleetz

Thnaks for the reply.

No I was not suggesting MCB although it would be nice but I will not be able to fit 24 on a single 12 DIN rail. I am looking at a very compact DIN mountable isolation switch so I can isolate each load and keep the solution contained in just the one housing.

I have researched the need to fit seperate MCB for each load and believe that the level of protection it provides doesn't warrant it. Just to be able to isolate each load with a switch will suffice in my situation.

What I am after is I believe called a knife blade switch or the like.

Thanks for your input.

Regards,

Fleetz

fleetz, Dec 29, 2006
  4. fleetz

Frank Mc Alinden

Hi Fleetz

Maybe use a fused terminal ..such as Klippon ...other brands are available and you should be able to source them from most electrical wholesalers....

http://tinyurl.com/y5babu

HTH
    Frank

Frank Mc Alinden, Dec 30, 2006
  5. fleetz

fleetz

Thanks Frank that is exaclty what I am after.

Regards,

Fleetz

fleetz, Dec 30, 2006
  6. fleetz

fleetz

Just some feedback from the research do so far. I have drilled down to some Phoenix Contacts DIN screw terminal, fused terminal block. The two I am looking at are contained in PDF's

They take 5X20 glass fuses and I can fit 34 circuits on a 12 DIN rail. I was not initially going to protect the dimmer to the load but the cost is minimal doing it with a switch so I thought it would be a good idea. This will give me isolation and protection with very good packing density.

Works out nicely two with the Clipsal 4C48FD housing, three 5508DIA dimmers and a row of fused terminal blocks. I have ordered a few of each to have a look at before making a choice. There are LED versions of the two I have shown however it doubles the price of the units.

I will also used these on the 3 relay units in another Clipsal 4C48FD however I you need to be aware these fused terminal blocks are rated to 6.3Amps for the most part it is not an issue however with inductive loads you need to be careful.

With the 1 Amp dimmer channels all having lighting loads would you suggest 1 Amp fast or slow blow? The absolute maximum load per channel is 200 watts (.83Amp) most will have 140 watt (.58 Amp) be interested in your feedback and indeed comments on what I am suggesting using.

Cheers,

Fleetz

Attached Files:

fleetz, Jan 4, 2007
  7. fleetz

ICS-GS

Fleetz,

My guess would to go for the slow blow units, as you will probably get some 'in-rush' current as each output turns 'On' . (although i am not sure of all the loads you are connecting, but this is usually the case):confused:

Cheers

Grant

ICS-GS, Jan 7, 2007
  8. fleetz

fleetz

Thanks Grant,

Primarily the loads would be running to within 20% of the maximum rating of the dimmer modules to keep that saftey margin. So I will not be running close to the wind on expected loads.

Giving it some further thought I might start with fast blow at 1A on the 55081AD modules if I find that these are a bit sensitive I can swap them out with slow blow version. End of the day a M205 1A fuse are around 30 cents each the dimmer units a little more expensive:)

The relay circuits with inductive loads will definately have slow blow fuses.

Cheers,

Fleetz

fleetz, Jan 7, 2007
Ask a Question