Confused re: using Ctouch with Toolkit

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by JohnC, May 4, 2005.

1. JohnC

JohnC

Hi there !

I have just done the latest training course for Toolkit, which is recommended on the cis site - eg: from the downloads page :

However, Ctouch (I have 1.2.0.0 loaded currently) can't seem to load the *xml files from Toolkit - Ctouch seems to need the *.tag files from the old V2 software in order for the Project to be selectable in the Project Details dialog screen. I notice on the downloads page that Ctouch v2 isn't Toolkit compatible either, so haven't bothered installing it.

I haven't used Cbus v2 software for many years, and can't really remember much about it (all I remember it was pretty horrid). And I am not really keen on installing PICED due to it's beta status and the hassle of doing firmware update/downdate to try it...

My problem... I have a 2yr old project that was programmed in V2 by someone else. The project is large commercial premises with NO Key Inputs, the whole site is controlled by 1x Touchscreen (don't ask why, very complicated story). Anyway, I definitely need Ctouch to work first go (I haven't really got any way out if it stuffs up !).

I imported the project from V2 files into Toolkit (seems to work OK). But how do I make changes to the touchscreen that reflect the changes I'm making to the project in Toolkit? Is the only solution to have v2 installed and then to Export out of Toolkit back to v2 so that Ctouch can detect it ?

Maybe I am missing something, but hell I am confused by the way Clipsal does software updates ! Backwards compatible = huh ? :confused:

Would somebody please help clarify this for me, just in case I have got the whole thing messed up in my head (most likely)

Thanks, John

JohnC, May 4, 2005
  2. JohnC

Richo

Yes. C-Touch for Toolkit, now known as PICED, is in beta and until it is released you have to use the V2 compatiable system

We try very hard to be very backwards compatible. All of our software released can open the previous versions file. Toolkit is extra special as it can generate older V2 format projects as well.

Although I can understand the you are disappointment at not having PICED released yet, this is not a indication of poor backwards compatibility at all.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2005
    Richo, May 5, 2005
  3. JohnC

Nick Mullins

toolkit compatability with ctouch 2.0.44

Richo,
    Can i use toolkit in conjuction with ctouch build 2.0.44 or do i have to export a project from toolkit back to v2 and use old ctouch software.I am about to start a project with DLTs in it and was looking forward to doing it with tool kit but i need to get the compatability issues straight before i start so not to cause problems for myself. :cool:

Nick Mullins, May 5, 2005
  4. JohnC

Htnut

My advice is to use the latest version of PICED (2.6.1.0). Even though it is still in Beta this is much easier than the other options. In my experience it is stable other than a few minor quirks. Of course you get no guarantee from CIS (or me for that matter!)

Htnut, May 5, 2005
  5. JohnC

Richo

Yes, currently you will need to export back to V2. :(

Richo, May 5, 2005
  6. JohnC

Newman

Please remember that using Beta software on a real job site may void your warranties on all product on the site and restrict your access to technical support.

I strongly recommend that you use C-Touch 1.2 for programming any C-Touch units on site and simply export the project from Toolkit to V2 to create the database for the C-Touch software to use.

Newman, May 5, 2005
Ask a Question