Connect Non RWG AC to Thermostat.

Discussion in 'Infrared (NIRT, IR Reader) and CIRCA' started by leonardodonny, Jan 17, 2013.

1. leonardodonny

leonardodonny

Hi C-BUS forum.

I've read a lot of HVAC pdf and help in the PICED and CIRCA software.
    There is a lot of explanation to connect 5070THBR with RWG Air Conditioner.
    but i've got this non RWG Panasonic Air Conditioner.

All i want to ask is:
    How to connect 5070THBR Thermostat (HVAC) to non RWG AirConditioner?

Looking forward for the answer. :D
    [​IMG]

leonardodonny, Jan 17, 2013
  2. leonardodonny

Ashley

You don't. The 5070 contains all the plant control algorithms and is designed specifically for simply RWG units by replacing the original thermostat control unit. Your Panasonic has all its control systems integrated and can only be controlled by IR (like all other split systems). Some units (but not many) have an optional control board that allows connection to automation systems (I know of no split systems that allow this though). Sending IR commands to these split systems is also complicated by the fact that each command is extremely long and contains a complete setup, which most IR systems can't handle.

The problem here isn't with CBus, it's with the Aircon manufacturers that are still living in the dark ages.

Theoretically you could write logic to intercept the 5070 plant control commands and send the appropriate IR signals to the Panasonic, but you'd have to be very keen.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2013
    Ashley, Jan 17, 2013
  3. leonardodonny

bmerrick

Hi Leonardodonny,

Many A/C manufacturers that also ship their product to the US can supply a device they quite often refer to as an 'Accessory Module' that allows connection of the A/C to the ubiquitous rotary thermostats you see in many US homes and offices. Once you have one of these, you can 'emulate' the rotary thermostats electronics using a L5108RELVP Clipsal C-BUS 8 Channel Extra Low Voltage (ELV) Relay and a handful of resistors. You can use the 5070 with some logic to control this setup for temp, and possibly (maybe!!) wire the fan control and mode control lines directly to 5070s on-board relays or just use the L5108 again.

Not sure about your system but what Ashley says is probably true for most Split System A/Cs being that they weren't made to be externally integrated, but self sufficient logic wise. The commercial units are usually more open to external control. Many ducted systems have available a 'Timer Adapter' which is really just a remote on/off for the A/C usually used to go to a DIN rail timer. You can just run this if available with normal C-Bus relays.

Some other units have a 'Remote Control Adapter/Module' with a BACS interface, but this route is usually too expensive for a home system. I know Daikins do. A product called Coolmaster interfaces with many mid tier semi commercial A/Cs and gives them a RS-232 interface to use from a PCI(available from Ness).

IR Control can work for some systems and is always worth giving a try too using CIRCA and a NIRT as you suggest.

I am sure you know of course there is always the 'Last Ditch' method if control is absolutely essential to the client where you purchase a spare IR controller and use a L5108RELVP Clipsal C-BUS 8 Channel Extra Low Voltage (ELV) Relay to simulate button presses on the remote control's PCB. Put it into a box/enclosure near the A/C with a PSU for the R/C, an external socket for a remote I/R head and an RJ45 for the C-Bus in. $500 in parts and some labour required, but saleable to your client who absolutely wants the functionality. (Make 2 so you have a quick swap-over for future failure)

All the best,

Brad

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2013
    bmerrick, Feb 2, 2013
  4. leonardodonny

leonardodonny

Hi Ashley and bmerrick I would like to say thank you for your great long advice.
    Well, i decide to buy a Daikin Air Conditioner, i have made a new thread for it.
    http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9189

Can you help me by recommending a type or model of Daikin AC that support the HVAC?

Looking Forward for the answer. :D

[​IMG]

leonardodonny, Feb 25, 2013
Ask a Question