Dimmer help please

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by davestevens_uk, May 18, 2007.

1. davestevens_uk

davestevens_uk

Hello all,
    So I'm in London, and new to the forum. I'm actually a web/networks person for an investment bank during the day, and have just started playing with C-Bus, purely for use at home. I've completed the 'Introduction to C-Bus' course (run by the UK Distributor of C-Bus), and am using a UK electrician for the mains wiring.

I've put together a design to cover the 3 floors of our house, and the plan is to 'C-Bus' rooms as they're renovated. The design is fairly simple (lights only at present), with a mixture of 12 channel relays & 8 channel dimmers in enclosures on each floor. I'm using the ethernet interface module.

Having now started to put it all together, I've stumbled accross what appears to be the best kept secret (at least in the UK!), and that's transformer compatibility with the 8 channel dimmer. It wasn't covered on the course, and I only stumbled accross it when reading the instructions which came with the dimmer.

I have 2 rooms each with 6x 12v 35w halogen downlighters, and am now unsure whether that's going to be a problem. The transformers don't have any useful (capacitance) information on them, and they're not a make listed in the dimmer docs.

So.....is it a case of they either will or won't work, or is there potential to damage the dimmer if I connect the circuit?

Any help appreciated.
    Many thanks,
    David.

davestevens_uk, May 18, 2007
Ask a Question