Dimming of halogen lights ??

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by rakesh_k_v, Feb 6, 2008.

1. rakesh_k_v

rakesh_k_v

hello friends...

can i know the process of dimming of the Low voltage halogen lights??
    ...can i use the Pro series dimmers for this??
    ...how many 12v 35w or 12v 50w lights can be dimmed using pro series dimmers??

is it necessary to have MCB's in the load side of the Pro Dimmers??

how the LED lights can be dimmed??? here we have Step up transformer for these lights...is it compatible with the Pro Series Dimmers???

please help me to solve these....

rakesh_k_v, Feb 6, 2008
  2. rakesh_k_v

JohnC

You connect the lights via an electronic or wirewound transformer to a phase-chopping dimmer. You choose the dimmer type to match the type of transformer used. Generally, you use leading edge dimmers for inductive loads (wirewound transformers) and trailing edge dimmers for capacitive loads (electronic transformers)

It is also possible to buy transformers that use 0-10V analogue or DALI digital control protocols. These transformer cannot be used with "dimmers", as a completely different method of output control is used (ie: a control signal is used to tell the device what light level to supply).

Yes, any Cbus dimmer can be used if the load (transformer) is suitable. You are wasting money using Pro dimmers in most domestic installations, as it will produce a much better installation with more channels with less lights on each.

Now days, most installers use the 4 channel Universal dimmer which is rated 2A per channel. That will run about 500W/channel at 240V, which is 8 or 9 x 50W halogens. It is usually even better using an 8 channel 1A dimmer, and run 3 or 4 lamps off each channel.

It depends on the transformer, lamp and dimmer chosen. Generally, find out the total wattage from the transformer supplier, then divide that by the voltage (240V in Australia). That gives you the amps per light - we try to load the dimmers up to a maximum of 80% of capacity, so for a 5A pro dimmer channel we'd allow 4A... that means 4 x 240V = 960W. An electronic transformer and 50W lamp will draw about 55W, so that means that theoretically you could use 17 on a 5A Pro dimmer channel.

However - there are other considerations... it ALL depends on the transformers that you decide to use. If you want the BEST solution, use the 4 channel x 2A "Universal Dimmer" as this one automatically adjusts to suit the load type.

No, it's not necessary, and will do little (if anything) to protect the dimmer itself. In some countries that use IEC standards, the standards require that MCBs are used, but this relates to normal wiring regulations rather than anything specifically to do with C-Bus.

This totally pepends on the interface and the LEDs. Retrofit LEDs (designed for use as replacement for halogen) cannot normally be dimmed. Professional LED packages will use drivers that can be "controlled" using 0-10V Analogue or DALI digital protocols. These units do not use a "dimmer" at all.

It is unlikely that pro dimmers are "generally" suitable for dimming of LEDs, as these lamps have a completely different requirements than resistive / inductive loads like incandescent filament lamps. You may find some cheaper LEDs satting that they can be "dimmed", however the effects of doing this on the LEDs is unknown.

No idea - yuou will need to be a LOT more specific.

Generally, you select the lamp, then the "driver" (transformer), then the C-Bus device to suit them. It is impossible to give a definitive answer without knowing full details about the lamp and specific driver that you wish to use, and the dimming/control method that is required.

JohnC, Feb 6, 2008
  3. rakesh_k_v

rakesh_k_v

first of all thank you for the information...

am new to this...soo the probs....

can you please clarify these also...

How i can identify a transformer as Leading edge or Trailing edge??

can i identify the type from the PICTOGRAMS on the cover???
    i have transformer from Philips ET-E 60 220-240 .... it shows two near by triangles embed with M , one triangle with F, one with 110

am trying to make it specific...:confused:

rakesh_k_v, Feb 10, 2008
  4. rakesh_k_v

JohnC

Usually this information must be obtained from the transformer manufacturer.

Yes - European transformers usually have a small pictogram, which is a rectangle containing a "ramp-shaped" triangle and a letter. L = Leading Edge, C = Capacitive (Trailing Edge) and L,C means dimmable with both types.

I have attached a pictogram from an Osram transformer that has L,C (thus dimmable by either type of dimmer)

Transformers or converters bearing the MM mark can be mounted on surfaces of unknown flammability, which can be the case when mounting these devices on wooden furniture elements. Such devices comply with the temperature requirements of VDE 0710, part 14, of < 95 ?C during normal and < 115 ?C during abnormal operation

The F mark is similar - basically it means that the transformer can be mounted on normally flammable surfaces, and I think that the "110" is the max temp under abnormal conditions (I may be wrong on that, but the 110 definitely doesn't have anything to do with dimming).

I couldn't find that Philips transformer model by Googling, or from the current Australian catalogues. But that doesn't surprise me since most of the manufacturers are now buyting cheap chinese electronics and re-badging them - this is very common in the retail lighting market where price is the number one selection criteria.

As a general rule - almost ALL electronic transformers should be dimmed with trailing edge dimmers. Some types are dimmable with Leading Edge, but this is problematic due to the capacitance on the input side of the transformer upsetting the leading edge dimmer. So, even if the transformer is diammable with leading edge, it is fairly uncommon that the full capacity of the dimmer channel will be usable.

Note that the very cheapest transformers are not dimmable at all. This is one of those subjects that don't really have a "specific answer"... there are simply too many variables.

The following link is to the OLD clipsal "transformer compatibility chart" - I am unsure if this is still being kept up to date. I know that one major problem was that manufacturers release new models but retain the old product codes. Therefore, lists such as this have very limited accuracy.

http://www.cleverhome.com.au/manual...lectronic-transformer-compatibility-chart.pdf

Attached Files:

JohnC, Feb 11, 2008
  5. rakesh_k_v

rakesh_k_v

thanks again for your valuable comments and suggestions...

i am working on these....and will come back later....:)

rakesh_k_v, Feb 11, 2008
  6. rakesh_k_v

samluo

a phase dimmer connect at output 12AC can dim the halogen lamp. but LED seems not proper as DC ouput.
    well there are 0-10v LED 12V voltage constant transformer can dim the halogen and LED

samluo, Feb 10, 2010
Ask a Question