DLT Labels changing in toolkit

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by rhamer, Mar 3, 2014.

1. rhamer

rhamer

I have found what I believe to be a problem in Toolkit 1.13.0 with DLT labels.

I have been reprogramming a clients house and although I would set the labels correctly in Toolkit the wrong label would appear on the actual DLT.

I thought I was going crazy as it all appeared correct in Toolkit, however after shutting down Toolkit (and my PC) for the night and coming back the next day, I could see the labels in Toolkit were now showing wrongly.

This is what the detailed view of the switch looks like;

BarrowCapture2.PNG

The switch in this case is Key 3 which is labelled "Bar Pendant" which is wrong (but possibly the name it used to be).

Looking deeper under the group address where DLT labels can also be set, it shows this which is consistent, but also wrong.

BarrowCapture1.PNG

However when I press the button that allows the editing of the label (from the first switch details dialog) it shows me the correct label.

BarrowCapture3.PNG

And if I save it, it appears to work, until it is downloaded to the actual DLT where it is wrong.

One factor may be that these are all custom font labels and they have all been set by the switch details dialog rather than through the group dialog.

To try and figure this out, I had a peek in the tag directory and I see that custom font labels are actually converted to a bitmap and I assume it is that bitmap that is sent to the switch. Looking for the bitmap for the key in question, I find the incorrect "Bar Pendant" one , bit not the correct "Wall Lights".
    So ok, there is some sort of problem with the generation and saving of the bitmaps, but where does the "Wall Lights" label come from when I go to edit the label?

So I dig a bit deeper again and look in the Toolkit XML file and find this;

Code:
    <Group>
    	<TagName>Bed1 W/L</TagName>
    	<Address>0</Address>
    	<TagsDLT>
    	<TagDLT>
    	<LanguageID>1</LanguageID>
    	<FlavourID>1</FlavourID>
    	<TagType>FONT</TagType>
    	<TagValue>2010,1,Tahoma,10,DEFAULT,,0,0,0,Wall Lights</TagValue>
    	</TagDLT>
    	</TagsDLT>
    </Group>
    Which looks correct to me and the reference to TagValue 2010 lines up with the image in the tag directory of the wrong label (i.e. Bar Pendant)

So it looks like there is a problem saving images for custom font labels, possibly only from the switch details dialog (which I believe is relatively new?)

Cheers

Rohan

rhamer, Mar 3, 2014
  2. rhamer

rhamer

I found some more information.

whilst fixing up the labels, I noticed I had the same wrong tag on another group address.

Looking in the Toolkit XML file revealed this for the second group address;

Code:
    <TagValue>2010,1,Tahoma,8,DEFAULT,,0,0,0,Bar Pendant</TagValue>
    I have more than one group address referencing the same 2010 image file.

I assume this is bad, and probably the root cause of the problem, as I would effectively be changing the same image file from 2 different places (group addresses).

I'm not sure how to work around this (other than to manually edit the Toolkit XML file) but perhaps setting the label to standard text will remove the reference. Then set it back to custom and hopefully it will get a new reference.

Cheers

Rohan

rhamer, Mar 4, 2014
  3. rhamer

rhamer

Yet More information.

Setting the DLT label to text then back to custom worked for most of them, and created a new bitmap and reference.

However I also discovered I had labels that referenced the same bitmap file from different variances on the same group address.
    The editor didn't seem to be able to handle this, so I edited the Toolkit XML file directly to fix it.

I then found I had more bitmap files with no reference (I would have thought removing the bitmap file when the label is no longer referencing it) so I deleted those and edited the DLTD-index.txt file to remove the non existent entries also.

So far it all seems to be ok, but I'm yet to upload it all to the network.

BTW just in case its relevant, this site also runs Homegate 4.12.1

Cheers

Rohan

rhamer, Mar 4, 2014
  4. rhamer

bmerrick

Hi Rohan,

I have been seeing something similar. It seems like a small DLT tag 'Index' issue.

See attached JPG from eDLT config. Button 4 did say 'Towel Rail' but after I edited Button 1 to change the DLT tag to 'Shower Toilet', hey presto button 4 became the same DLT tag.

I was going to report to Dev but as you are highlighting similar symptoms, I thought I'd just tack mine on.

Was fine if I did a final check of DLT tags prior to transfer. So just final check your tags prior to saving and it should work OK.

Brad

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2014
    bmerrick, Mar 4, 2014
  5. rhamer

rhamer

This is definitely screwed.

After uploading all the DLT's with new labels they are all over the place. It has even made up some new ones all on it's own. I had one named "Library" and it has created "Library 1" and "Library 2" and referenced the group to "Library 1"

I'm wasting so much time chasing these labels, only to turn around and find after uploading them others are now wrong.

Client is getting grumpy, and beginning to think I'm no better than the last bloke he had (and he was really bad)

The only option is to abandon the custom fonts and go back to just using text.

Rohan

rhamer, Mar 6, 2014
  6. rhamer

Robbo_VIC

Hi Brad,

I experience the same issue with you on an eDLT. I spoke to support and they were able to replicate the problem. I don't think I was ever updated on the ticket number.

Michael

Robbo_VIC, Mar 6, 2014
  7. rhamer

bmerrick

Good to know Rohan and I are not going crazy. ;)

The first time you do it, you think you chose the wrong label yourself. By the second time its like..........wait a minute!!! Luckily I caught it 'on camera' :D

Well the good guys at TS obviously know about it now. Until update its re-check before transfer for our problem and Rohan's seems a bit harder to notice which must be even more frustrating. Glad i've got no DLTs needing config at the moment.

Have a good one guys,

Brad

bmerrick, Mar 6, 2014
  8. rhamer

Robbo_VIC

Support, has there been a case number assigned to this duplicate labels issue?

Robbo_VIC, Mar 16, 2014
  9. rhamer

daniel C-Busser Moderator

Hi all, thanks for your reports in this thread.

To help us pin this problem down, are any of you able to recall or ascertain if this problem ever existed in Toolkit 1.12.6 or earlier? To place the versions in context, Toolkit 1.12.7 (September 2013) is when eDLT support was introduced alongside the pre-existing DLT support.

daniel, Mar 17, 2014
  10. rhamer

rhamer

Sorry, I have only ever worked with DLT's in the last couple of versions.

Regards

Rohan

rhamer, Mar 17, 2014
  11. rhamer

NickD Moderator

Brad - I think you are seeing a different problem as you are using "static" labels (at least that's what the screenshot shows).

It looks like when editing one of the list of static text strings in the unit, the wrong one is being edited.

What Rohan is seeing is something wrong with the storage and application of the older Dynamic Labels (or in this case, the Dynamic Icon, which is a graphic used to emulate a custom font).

Nick

NickD, Mar 19, 2014
  12. rhamer

Robbo_VIC

Hi Daniel, the issue i am referring to seems to be different from the original poster. I am only seeing an issue with duplicate labels on programming an eDLT. So far we only have 1 house with them installed, and I have seen this since the start of the year when they were first installed.

If I have any Timer widgets programmed, anytime that ANY widget's label is changed (static text type), the label for the Timer widget is also changed. If I only have 1 Timer widget I can then change the label to the correct one and everything is ok (as long as i don't need to change the label for any other widget). If i have 2 Timers on the same eDLT, there is no way I can have separate labels as they will always update to match whatever the last label change was.

EDIT: this only happens for custom static text, not when i choose one from the list

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2014
    Robbo_VIC, Mar 27, 2014
  13. rhamer

bmerrick

Hi Nick,

Sorry been heads down onsite and missed your response.

Yes, I agree with your assessment. It looked sort of similar so I tacked in on as a method of report. Robbo seems to be seeing the same problem I was reporting too.

As for Rohan's problem, it now seems discretely different so sorry to him for the thread hijack!! :eek:

I don't find the problem I was having as too much of an imposition as you can see it before it writes the wrong data, you just need to make sure you look.

Have a good one,

Brad

bmerrick, Mar 27, 2014
Ask a Question