Don't want to make a scene but....

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by UncleDick, Nov 8, 2004.

1. UncleDick

UncleDick

I have a site where a couple of Reflection plates appear to be 'losing' or self mutilating scenes that are stored in them. not sure if this is significant but Scenes can be remotely triggerd and C-gate is running on the network also. Has anyone come across this? (I have't used this combo of plate, remote trigger and C-gate before) :confused:

UncleDick, Nov 8, 2004
  2. UncleDick

Don

Hi Uncle Dick!

How long does it take between programming and noticing the corruption?

My first approach if the lome lag is not too long would be to use a tool to log the communications with this unit to see if anything is trying to store data to the scene memory area.

If the scenes were set up using an early version (like last month) of the toolkit software, the scene data was not stored correctly. You probably woiuld have noticed this straight away.

Is anyone likely to have used the scene 'setup' mode on these units?

p.s. Thanks for the opportunity to catch up a few weeks ago with yourself and the man from WA. It seems like a long time ago now...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2004
    Don, Nov 9, 2004
  3. UncleDick

UncleDick

Well the Juries not in yet (ha ha - if you knew the site in question) but it appears to be like this:

There is no corruption/mutilation of scenes occuring

The software always brings Scene 1 up even when you want to edit - say - Scene 4 and if you are not careful you can enter Scene 4 details into Scene 1 and then get the 'wrong' lights going to the 'wrong' levels so we believe that some 'correct' scenes had been inadvertantly overwritten.

The network had been laid out with all the power supplies in a single point and a single run of >300m out with >60 units fitted. The volt drop in this situation caused the supply at the far end to be <15V.
    See (http://www.clipsal.com/cis/pdf_files/CBus-Voltage-Calculation.pdf)
    So sending retrieving programming details was a lottery in some cases.

This was a big site with a number of different people involved so getting a true story of what was happening was difficult.

There may be more issues on this site but we think we have made progress

UncleDick, Nov 14, 2004
  4. UncleDick

Don

Thanks for the update.

Reminds me of a problem in a previous job in which I was trying to track down a problem on a train. Apparently one of the systems on the train was failing in very complex ways throughout the journey, and from the descriptions of the fault, the system seemed absolutely hopeless. There were rumpours that the system was to be thrown off the train while it was moving, it was so bad.

To try and solve the problem, I got on the train (heading approximately to the same site as the C-Bus job in question, by coincidence) for a two-day trip. Even though I was on the train, and observed one system failure, train staff with only the best of intentions, reported the fault to each other and also to the nearest station. The station masters (is that the right terninology?) reported the fault to the next station that the train was expected to arrive at, and through the natural human tendency to embellish the story, the number of distict fault symptoms blossomed. We had pages of reports to wade through by the end.

Don

Don, Nov 15, 2004
Ask a Question