E5504GL don't broadcast in lighting application

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by starosta_rf, Mar 4, 2010.

1. starosta_rf

starosta_rf

Need to read value of E5504Gl in C-Touch. I select the appropriate raw input type using the Input Type drop down list. Then tick the Enable Lighting Type messaging and Enable Broadcasting on the Measurement Application check boxes, tick the Direct Level check box in the Channel Operation Mode section.
    Set Lighting Application and Group Address, but nothing. :(
    In C-Bus toolkit Application log i observed only broadcast messages from E5504GL in Measurement application and any message in Lighting one, in PICED any component connected with the same group and application always show zero level.
    What is wrong?

starosta_rf, Mar 4, 2010
  2. starosta_rf

Darren Senior Member

Do you see the lighting messages in the PICED log?

Darren, Mar 4, 2010
  3. starosta_rf

Newman

I'd check your settings on the Global tab. Try changing the Direct Level Sampling rate to something like 200ms and let us know how you go.

A few more clues about the General Input Unit.
    - The Broadcasting rate on the Channels tab is the rate at which the unit will regularly transmit the Measurement Application data for that channel, irrespective of it's current level.
    - the Minimum Time Between Broadcasts parameter on the Global tab is the maximum rate at which Measurement Application messages are broadcast for that channel. If the channel data is changing continually it can generate a lot of bus messages. You can limit the message rate by changing this parameter.
    - If, after all this, you are getting lots and lots of messages on the lighting application you can apply a little hysteresis to remove the effects of things like noise on the input. Enabling the Hysteresis Filter on the Channels tab, and setting it to something like 5% or so, does this.

Newman, Mar 5, 2010
  4. starosta_rf

starosta_rf

Yes I do. I see the same log as in C-BUS Toolkit.

I try to change Direct Level Sampling rate and Minimum time Between Broadcast to various value - no change :(.

Next way to solve this problem.
    How can I use values of Measurement application? In PICED component properties, when I select Measurement application, I can set only Group Address, but in Application log I observe number of device and number of channel. Is Group Address and number of device the same parameters? How can I select number of channel in PICED?

I intend to use E5504GL with the resistive humidity sensor, hope it's value will change slowly and E5504GL will generate few bus messages.

starosta_rf, Mar 5, 2010
  5. starosta_rf

Newman

If you can see the lighting commands in the PICED log then it sounds like the General Input Unit is working correctly.

Group Addresses and Device Numbers are 2 different things. In C-Bus, each different Application Address can have a completely different message structure and type. The General Input Unit allows the generation of 2 messages on 2 different applications and it forms up the correct message structure for each application.

Exactly what is the problem you're trying to solve? Perhaps you can give us some more information about your set-up?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2010
    Newman, Mar 5, 2010
  6. starosta_rf

starosta_rf

I see the lighting commands in the PICED log from other components, but any message in lighting application from E5504GL unit. E5504GL send messages ONLY in measurement application, in spite of Enable Lighting Type messaging check box is checked.

I need to measure humidity with resistive humidity sensor. Set appropriate system IO in C-Touch. Compare these values and turn on or off humidifier.

Problem is to read value from E5504GL, it doesn't send messages in lighting application and I don't know the way to use it's value in Measurement application with C-Touch.

Please say how can I use E5504GL Measurement application messages in C-Touch or how to force E5504GL send messages in lighting application?

starosta_rf, Mar 5, 2010
  7. starosta_rf

Darren Senior Member

You will need to use In-built System IO Variables to use the measurement application. Refer to the help file.

No. They are different.

Darren, Mar 7, 2010
  8. starosta_rf

starosta_rf

According to help file I start to use value of E5504GL in
    Measurement application from PICED - all works fine. :)
    E5504GL still doesn't send messages in lighting application, but according current setup this unit must send it!!!

starosta_rf, Mar 9, 2010
  9. starosta_rf

Newman

Perhaps you can post a few screenshots, specifically the General and Channel tabs, to show how your unit is set up?

Newman, Mar 9, 2010
  10. starosta_rf

Darren Senior Member

That is an excellent idea. If we can make it misbehave here, then we can understand the problem and try to fix it.

Darren, Mar 9, 2010
  11. starosta_rf

starosta_rf

Some images.
    Log with messages in Measurement application.
    [​IMG]
    Setup pages.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Channels 1,2,4 are turned off.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2010
    starosta_rf, Mar 10, 2010
  12. starosta_rf

Newman

The only thing there that doesn't look quite right is your multiplier value, although this won't affect whether the unit broadcasts or not.

The multiplier should be set to 3.921569, so that your 0-1V input broadcasts an 0-1V value on the Measurement Application (assuming that's what you want).

Have you tried varying the input voltage? Broadcasts on the Lighting Application will only happen when the input changes, whereas broadcasts on the Measurement Application happen periodically regardless.

Newman, Mar 15, 2010
  13. starosta_rf

starosta_rf

When I varying input voltage, E5504GL broadcast only in lighting application too.
    [​IMG]

I use input selector 0-1V for test purpose only.

When I try to set multiplier to 3,921569 it look like 3921569

[​IMG]

When I press APPLY button it change into 999999.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2010
    starosta_rf, Mar 15, 2010
  14. starosta_rf

Newman

OK, this looks like it might be an issue related to the fact you're running a non-English version of windows, and that is tripping up that bit of the Toolkit UI in some way.

I've logged a defect to try and get it addressed. In the mean time, can you please email me your Toolkit project file?

Hopefully using the Measurement application is sufficient for your needs in the mean time.

Newman, Mar 15, 2010
Ask a Question