firmware via PICED V3.1

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by Bullpit, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Bullpit

Bullpit

Hi Guys,
    Has anyone had probs upgrading firmware to B&W touchscreens?
    I have downloaded PICED 3.1 from Clipsal download page (as states C-touch software now obsolete), completed project and then had download error due to incompatible software / Firmware combination.
    Updated firmware, as per instructions, to V2.0 and now no comms.
    Have checked FAQ's etc. but with only new release, not much to go on.
    Unit ticks when trying to connect, therefore corrupted firmware is suspected but I can't connect to rectify firmware.....any suggestions ??

Thanks,
    Bullpit

Bullpit, Jun 7, 2005
  2. Bullpit

Darren Senior Member

In the FAQ, there is a section titled "C-Touch Connection Problems". Have you tried the various suggestions in there ?
    PICED comes with nearly 400 pages of documentation. It isn't perfect, but it is a very good start ;)
    You are correct in that the firmware has been corrupted during download.

When you download new firmware and projects to C-Touch, there is a separate bit of software (called the monitor) in the C-Touch which handles this process, and the rest of the firmware is not involved at all (see the FAQ section called "Firmware Operation" for more details). The monitor software never gets changed. This means that the problem you are having is not related to the new version of firmware you downloaded.

Darren, Jun 8, 2005
  3. Bullpit

Bullpit

Piced

(Is that a defensive or arrogant tone, I wonder....?) :confused:

I research as much as possible prior to posting any questions, when I do so it is as a last resort. Others then have the opportunity to learn from the posts and replies.

Yes I have tried various suggestions from "C-Touch Connection Problems".
    I am very much aware of the amount of documentation for PICED.
    I refered to the amount of FAQ's directly relating to V3.1

Thankyou for confirming what I already know.

I will post solution results when I have sorted..........

Bullpit

Bullpit, Jun 8, 2005
  4. Bullpit

Thomas

Which firmware

Relating to the new software and firmware, I was wondering if one of the two available firmware files is prefered? I get to choose between CTouch_1_200 and CTouch 2_0.
    Could this have abearing on the failed download?

Thomas

Thomas, Jun 8, 2005
  5. Bullpit

pbelectrical

Worked for me

Not much help to you, but I downloaded the new firmware to B&W touchscreen last week with no problems encountered. The screen had previously been running for approx. 2 months programmed with old software. I downloaded the new firmware and the new PICED project without any problems at all.

Peter Brown.

P.S. I beleive the firmware version I selected was 2.0

pbelectrical, Jun 8, 2005
  6. Bullpit

Richo

Hi Bullpit,

I can assure you that Darren is anything but arrogant. If his post appears that way to you, it is a result of the imperfect medium that is this forum.

I think what Darren was trying to say was everything we know about communication issues with CTouch is in the mentioned documents. Your original post didn't convey the thorough examination of the supplied documentation you mention in your later post, so it is a bit unfair to chastise Darren for suggesting you consult the specific and relevant sections that he pointed you to. He did this because there are over 400 pages and it is conceivable that you didn't read it all from front to back and may have missed the sections he recommended.

I didn't read anything arrogant in Darrens reply, he tried as best as possible to explain where to find the solution to you problems. If you have now (or previously) covered all the points in those documents then it is advised to contact official Technical Support channels.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2005
    Richo, Jun 9, 2005
  7. Bullpit

Darren Senior Member

Always use the latest firmware (in this case V2.0). V1.200 is actually a Beta release.
    No. As I discussed above, the firmware version has no bearing at all on the download process, as it is not running at the time.

Darren, Jun 9, 2005
  8. Bullpit

jay

I have just updated firmware in some B&W touchscreens using PICED 3.1 & find the process worked fine except for a lack of a progress indicator in the software. After initiating a download to the touchscreen there is no indication that the download is in progress except for the touch screen's display. Before I noticed this I nearly made the mistake of disconnecteing the serial cable thinking the transfer had failed (due to no indication in software). After a while tho the "Transfer Complete" window appeared - it pays to be patient. It would be nice to know that things are happening during transfers with indications from the software GUI & on the touchscreen itself.
    Cheers

jay, Jun 13, 2005
  9. Bullpit

Darren Senior Member

There is a progress box which is displayed during download. It is shown in the attached file and is displayed immediately below the download form. It is possible that it was off the screen or you had another form in front of it.

Attached Files:

Darren, Jun 14, 2005
  10. Bullpit

jay

hmmm,
    i did look for any "shy" windows hidding in the background but didn't notice any. will have a closer look next time...

jay, Jun 15, 2005
  11. Bullpit

Bullpit

Touchscreen problem

Hi Guys,
    With reference to my original Piced / touchscreen problem, it appears the B&W touchscreen (I waited so long for...) is faulty,
    Clipsal are rectifying or replacing, so hopefully I can get a rather long winded job finished.
    Many thanks to all on this forum,
    Regards,
    Bullpit

Bullpit, Jun 20, 2005
  12. Bullpit

graeme

Leading Hand Electrician

While you are waiting for that new touch screen just check your Port setting on your PC, the buffer input size should be set to minimal output to max, this was found in the FAQ pdf file. We could not upload to touch screen untill this setting was changed, hope this helps.
    Also another trap we came across was to check your PCs Time, ours was 12 hours out and caused me a trip into work and had to put all c-bus relays into bypass mode (by hand) at 12 oclock at night, was not untill the next day did I notice my misstake. :(
    regards
    graeme

graeme, Jun 20, 2005
Ask a Question