Frustration with old enclosure vs new.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tobex, Oct 17, 2010.

1. tobex

tobex

Situation:
    * double brick
    * Hager flush mount 4 x 12 DIN enclosure (750 H x 426 wall cut out)
    * Hole size 750 x 426

Problem
    * Need more din rails or more poles. One or the other or both

Best known solution so far
    * Hager VF418 426mm x 652mm. 4row x 18pole

I assume that once upon a time there was some kind of Australian standard which allowed subboards to be 426 x 652 and often the holes were turned into storage cupboards. The original cubby hole was torn out and a C-Bus load cente was installed. Obviously HAGER makes load centres to fit directly into those holes because the hole was enlarged 100mm to make room for the Hager box that is installed now. Now in some flash of genius they have shrunk the dimensions on the 4 x 18 design. Which would have been perfect had it been available when the C-Bus was installed. Now that newer box is 100mm too short in height.

Does anyone have a recommendation which would suit the above specified dimensions, otherwise I will have to make a coverpanel using my friends laser cutting bed and figure out a neat way of installing more density into the old space. I simply do not have enough C-bus channels and switch space for all the single pole MCB/RCD in the older 4 x 12 enclosure. Ideally I would source a 5 x 20 and all my dreams would come true but dimensions are proving to be a headache. I cant go wider but I can go taller.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2010
    tobex, Oct 17, 2010
  2. tobex

Newman

If it's easier to fill the width than the height you could possibly go with a Clipsal 4FCC60 Jetstream enclosure, which requires a 335mm x 765mm cut-out.

You could always fit a surface mounting enclosure that is larger than the hole in the wall, like a Clipsal 4C60MFD, which is 465mm x 880mm.

Newman, Oct 17, 2010
  3. tobex

tobex

Thank you for that very useful advice.

I have since been able to learn that Hager makes exactly the same box with wider rails. Apparently they dropped all of their 12 pole rails in favour of 16 or 18 and kept everything else the same.

The consumer range comes in the previously mentioned 100mm shorter model and an identical to existing version with more poles.

Had the Clipsal version had an extra row for its height I certainly would have given it a shot. I have not decided yet but I will phone my wholesaler to see what is actually available and if one is easier to obtain than the other I will look to getting it done sooner.

tobex, Oct 18, 2010
Ask a Question