Homegate, CNI and remote access

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by 2SC, Sep 7, 2007.

1. 2SC

2SC

Wondering, if it is possible to get access via a PC running Homegate into a remote system with a CNI on...

2SC, Sep 7, 2007
  2. 2SC

Darpa

If I'm understanding you correctly (From what I've read, I'm assuming you want to access a PC running Homegate at a remote site over the internet), then yes, this is perfectly possible.

BUT, the router/modem/Homegate PC at the remote site need to be set up correctly to allow this.

I wont go into full detail here, just in case I'm mis-understanding what you are trying to do, but if you want to "Remote Desktop into the Homegate PC, the internet connection at the site needs a Static (fixed) IP address, or alternatively, a router/modem that supports a Dynamic DNS setup. (Have a look at www.dyndns.com for an example of the kind of website that offers this).

This allows you to know the IP address or Host name you need to remotely connect to, even when the connection drops out, meaning you can continue to connect to it over a long period of time, rather than having to call someone at the site to ask the outside IP address of the connection each time you want to connect.

The second thing you need is that if the site's modem/router has NAT enabled (Network Address Translation), it means that the devices/PCs connected to that modem/router have private IP addresses, not that of the outside connection. If there is just the one PC running Homegate, which dials the internet connection itself, bypassing any of the modem/router's settings, then the following is irrelevant.

What you would need to do is open ports in both the modem/router, and the PC's firewall, to allow whatever flavour of Remote Desktop software you want to run, you will also need to "map" the port on the modem/router to the internal (private) IP address of the PC, so that when you try to connect to the site's IP address/host name, it will transparently divert the data on that port through to the PC.

There are several Remote Desktop programs you can use to remotely connect to the PC. There is windows (CP or Vista)'s "Remote Desktop Connection" program (just look under "All Programs\Accessories\Communications" on XP, or simply "All Programs\Accessories" on Vista).
    Then there is VNC, an open-source program, which is quite powerful, is free, and allows easy encryption of the connection.
    There is also some software called PC Anywhere, (just do a google search for it), although you will have to pay for this).

(Note: This is not an endorsement of any of the above programs, nor is it a complete list of the available software, it is just the 3 that came to mind writing this.)

Using any of these 3 programs will mean that once you have setup the remote site's hardware and software correctly, you will be able to control the Homegate PC as if you were there at the site. It will open a window on your desktop, which is basically a "Virtual Desktop" of the remote Homegate PC.

In other words, you will be able to do anything on the Homegate PC as if you were actually there in person.

If accessing Homegate via a web browser on your computer is all you need, then Homegate has this ability built into it already. The same steps apply as for Remote Desktop software, you just map the port(s) for Homegate's internal web server instead of the port(s) for the Remote Desktop software.
    This, in essence, means you just simply open up your web browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, Netscape, etc), and type in the IP addres/host name of the remote site, followed by the port number (if it's anything other than the default 80). For example: http://www.remotesite.com:40100

The other option you have available to you, is that you could simply map the port of the CNI directly into the router at the remote site, which running C-Gate on your PC would allow you to remotely connect directly to the site's C-Bus network as if you were at the remote site plugged into the local network there. However, this would not allow you to directly interact with Homegate.

Please also note that to run Remote Desktop software without too much frustration at slow refresh times, it is advisable to have at least a 1.5Mb downstream\256Kb upstream connection, anything less than this is generally quite slow to use, and can become quite frustrating if you have to do very much over the connection. If you are directly connecting to the CNI, pretty much any broadband connection would suffice.

If I am on the wrong track, and the Homegate PC you are running is NOT at the remote C-Bus site, and you need to connect to a remote C-Bus network from a local Homegate PC, you would need to map the remote site's CNI port as I detailed above, and tell Homegate to connect to the outside IP address or Host name of the remote site.

If I am on the right track with regards to what you want to do, then let me know if you need any more advise or help in setting the connection up.

Regards,
    Darpa

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2007
    Darpa, Sep 8, 2007
  3. 2SC

2SC

Reading again my post I can understand why you misunderstood me.
    My problem is that most of my clients don't want to have a dedicated PC that will have to be on all the time (even if they are on vacations). Its much easier to have a static IP (with dyndns is very easy) and having access with a laptop running Homegate from wherever you are.
    So, I am very happy that works that way.
    Thanks Darpa.

2SC, Sep 8, 2007
  4. 2SC

Darpa

As far as running Homegate on a PC that is on another site to the actual C-Bus network (for example: Homegate PC at your office running a C-Bus network at a client's house), you could definately do this, as long as you understand how to set up the routers at each end to allow communication between the two sites.

Another option you can look at instead of this, if your clients do not want a full-sized PC running at their house just to run homegate, is that you could use a "Mini-PC" or "CarPC". These are VERY small, (about the size of a normal CD-ROM drive or power supply out of a full-sized computer, or 20cm long x 15cm wide x 10cm high).
    This would allow them to have the Homegate PC hidden out of sight, running 24/7/365, and whenever they wanted to access HomeGate, they simply connect their own PC or laptop to the network that the Mini-PC is connected to, and access the internal web server of HomeGate over the network.

These small PCs could be easily hidden away in a small cupboard, or even in the roof or in a DB panel (that had a little spare room). They use very little power, make almost no noise, and could easily run HomeGate. Also, because they usually have both a serial port as well as an ethernet (network) port, you could connect the serial port to a PCI, and use the ethernet connection to connect it to the internet.

I wont go into any more detail, just in case this isn't an idea you're interested in. If it is, let me know, and I will elaborate further :)

I've attached a photo of a typical MiniPC or CarPC so you can see what I'm talking about. The case in the bottom left-hand corner is the general case you would use. Also pictured is a typical laptop hard drive, memory, and Mini-itx motherboard. The circuit board pictured in the bottom right-hand corner is the power supply, this takes 12v DC, and converts it into the various voltages the computer requires to operate. (although you could use a standard mains power supply, but this would have to be external to the computer case, and it would be bigger than the rest of the computer itself!!).
    A computer like this would cost roughly $500 USD in total, for all hardware required, including shipping. (Although not including the labor time to set it up, a copy of windows, or a copy and license for HomeGate).

Regards,
    Darpa

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2007
    Darpa, Sep 8, 2007
Ask a Question