Importing v2 projects not working

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by more-solutions, Aug 2, 2010.

1. more-solutions

more-solutions

I have Project Manager v2 installed and Toolkit 1.11.0

I have a project in Project Manager i want to import. When I try to import to Toolkit, all the projects are listed as hieroglyphics, and if I try to import them I just get errors ("An Internal Error has occurred.") This occurs with any project I import, including Example, so I assume it's not a problem with the project itself but with the import.

Suggestions? Do I need to go back to an older TK version?

more-solutions, Aug 2, 2010
  2. more-solutions

Newman

Import of V2 projects became broken in Toolkit a little while ago and was recently dropped as a feature.

You can work around this by importing it into an older version of Toolkit, say 1.9.x, and then upgrading Toolkit to the current release, 1.11.2.

If you think the V2 import feature should be reinstated you'll need to contact the Clipsal sales staff in your state or Tech support.

Newman, Aug 2, 2010
  3. more-solutions

more-solutions

Retaining the functionality in newer versions seems a little pointless, given the low return against the maintenance issues. But a standalone migration tool might be useful and once built should never need maintenance?

I haven't installed TK1.11.2 yet but if the import options still exist on the menu they obviously need removing.

4. more-solutions

Newman

They are not there in Toolkit 1.11.2

A stand-alone tool would still require maintenance as things change from time-to-time on the toolkit side of things, even if the C-Bus V2 side of things would be static.

Newman, Aug 2, 2010
  5. more-solutions

more-solutions

I'm probably being naive... but if the tool created a valid Toolkit file, then supporting that file is no different from supporting older versions of Toolkit on upgrade? After all, if I need to install an old version of TK to import it, then I still need the newer versions of TK to recognise that imported project when I upgrade TK?

Anyway, it's not a big deal; I missed the note about it being removed (my forum search on "cb2" was a little too vague!) so I was thrown by it being in the menus but not working. Which is the best version to downgrade to?

6. more-solutions

Newman

The stand-alone app has some merit as an idea... but then someone else finds a bug... and it needs to be fixed... and the person who did it last left the company 3 years ago... and the software tools have been updated 3 revisions... and the old one doesn't support 64-bit operating systems... etc. Plenty of things to consider, all manageable and reasonable, but not without some effort.

I'd try Toolkit 1.9.3. I can't remember precisely which version the V2 import stopped working but I'm pretty confident it was working fine in the 1.9.x series of TK. Perhaps one of the others will know.

Newman, Aug 2, 2010
  7. more-solutions

more-solutions

Oh believe me, I know - we have this sort of problem all the time!

But on the other hand, unless there is going to come a point where there will be no upgrade path from v2 at all, then you're either going to have to maintain a standalone app or make sure that TK1.9.3 will still work under all of the above conditions, which might not be any easier (especially as, from what I understand, TK needs Project Manager installed and working as well). Supporting the past is always a giant pain in my experience!

I'll give TK1.9.3 a go and report back if I have any problems.

8. more-solutions

ashleigh Moderator

V2 software ceased development in about 2002 and was on a maintenance basis with its last release in 2005 - in parallel with cbus Toolkit.

The two commissioning softwares were both available and supported in parallel for something like 12 months (a bit unusual in any industry).

Its now 5 years later, and thats probably a suitable time for v2 software to have import and maintenance support withdrawn. In this business, 5 years support for a defunct product is a pretty long time.

I do agree though, that a a little better publicity about the import path (ie which version of TK to use to do the import before the upgrade to current) would at least make it clear for those who need to do this; it will no doubt come up from time to time in future.

ashleigh, Aug 3, 2010
Ask a Question