Intermittent dimmer channels

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by fleetz, May 20, 2009.

1. fleetz

fleetz

I have 4 X 5508D1A 8 Ch dimmer packs. All has been working well until recently just one of the 5508D1A has 2 of the 8 channels intermitently turn off.

I have opened the log and the DLT is sited as the unit that turned the channel off. One channel is or appears to be more intermitent than the other. It only seems to happen when the lights are ramped to relatively low levels say around 30 to 40%. The time the chanels hold up varies....and a good percentage of the times doesn't switch off at all (probably 70%)

BTW when I open a log up in 1.10.3 the timestamp on all loggeg events is the same being the time when the log was opened and only subsequent actions are the times reflective of the times things happen. Is this normal?

Anyway was wondering if any one else has experienced the dimmer issue and if there are any other tricks to isolate the problem?

Regards,

Fleetz

fleetz, May 20, 2009
  2. fleetz

fleetz

Hmm I have 2 channels on the same dimmer pack that are doing the same thing. Ramp up to say 30% is and they switch off intermittently normally after 4-8 minutes. Sometimes they behave and stay on.....am I the only wood duck that has this issue?

Cheers,

Fleetz

fleetz, Jun 2, 2009
  3. fleetz

Newman

The best thing to do is grab a copy of the diagnostic utility, hook it up to a PC Interface and monitor the network traffic using that. You need to determine whether the channels are being turned off due to a network command or the dimmer is doing it by itself.

Newman, Jun 2, 2009
  4. fleetz

ashleigh Moderator

Do you mean that at about (a static level of ) 30% the loads go off sometimes?

Or does it happen during a ramp up?

what are the loads? (incandescent, CF, LV.... if LV what transformers?)

how much load is on each channel?

ashleigh, Jun 3, 2009
  5. fleetz

NickD Moderator

Can you clarify this.. it sounds like you're saying there is a message in the log saying that the DLT turned the channels off??

If this is the case then surely this is not a problem with the dimmer?

Aside from that...when they go off, do the corresponding indicators on the dimmer unit turn off?

Nick

NickD, Jun 4, 2009
Ask a Question