L5501RFCP fan controller without DLT

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by froop, Sep 9, 2011.

1. froop

froop

I want to add three new lights to my system, but have zero free relay channels. However I do happen to have 3 channels being used by a ceiling fan. Instead of purchasing a new 4ch relay, I'd like to add a fan controller instead to free up my standard relay channels.

The toolkit help describes how to configure the LL501RFCP for DLT control, but doesn't seem to offer suggestions on how to do it with a single key on a standard keypad.

I'd like to configure a key to act exactly the same as the manual override button on the unit, but I'm not sure if I can do this without a triggered scene and/or PAC logic.

My fan currently works with a phantom "_trg_Fan" group which triggers PAC logic. When it is activated via an "ON" command, its level is cycled through hi/med/low/off, which in turn also controls the relevant relays. Of course I can still use the same logic with the fan controller, but it would be nice if I could achieve this natively via Toolkit..

froop, Sep 9, 2011
  2. froop

Newman

This kind of cycling of the Fan Controller from a single button on the DLT is exactly the way the Fan Controller is designed to be used. Each press of the DLT button will cycle through Low->Med->High->Off speeds, updating the label on the DLT every time it changes. No need to use logic.

The configuration for non-DLT key units is done in the same way as for the DLT. The key is configured as a "Fan Speed Cycle" and is used to cycle the Fan Controller through the speeds.

The configuration required for older key units that don't have Scene capability is a little more tricky, but it's still a fairly straightforward exercise. They can be mapped directly to the Trigger Group if that's all the particular key unit is doing, or if the unit is being used for lighting functions then a little logic will get you going.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2011
    Newman, Sep 9, 2011
  3. froop

froop

I'm controlling it via a SC5034NL, which is also being used for lighting. So if I'm reading you right, I should stick with my current PAC logic, tweaked a little for the L5501RFCP.

froop, Sep 9, 2011
  4. froop

Newman

If the SC5034NL is more than about 12 months old then you'll have to go down the path of logic. I would probably tweak your logic a little so that the indicator status on that group is on when the fan is on, and off when the fan is off. You'll also be sending a trigger out onto the bus to get the Fan Controller to advance it's speed.

Newman, Sep 9, 2011
  5. froop

froop

Yes, keypads are around 4 years old.

My current logic has my _trg_Fan phantom group cycling through levels OFF,LO,MED,HIGH. The PAC logic toggles relays as appropriate, and as the LED is hooked into _trg_Fan, it is lit when the levels are on LOW,MED or HIGH, but not OFF.

It's easy enough to change that logic so it sets the fan controller to 0,33,66,100. But I was hoping for a solution that didn't require logic - but it seems that would require buying a new keypad :)

froop, Sep 9, 2011
  6. froop

znelbok

I use a Saturn with a single button to control the three speeds and off.

Press once for low, press again for med, again for high and again for off

Off --> Low --> Med --> High --> Off

Its all in toolkit and no logic required (I dont have a PAC or other logic unit installed).

It lists as <Fan Speed Cycle> in the Function list for the key input - I will have to double check though when I get home and log into the network.

When yousay standard keypad, do you mean the older seies 2000 style ir just a non-dlt keypad?

I that what you want?

Mick

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2011
    znelbok, Sep 12, 2011
  7. froop

froop

Yes, all my keypads are S2000 slimline style. As Newman said, the fan control functions do not appear in the list for these keypads, so I've had to do it the hard way using the PAC.

I changed my logic around on the weekend, and its all working well now, exactly as it was using 3 standard relay channels. (OFF>HI>MED>LO>OFF, and LED indicator working too). Although I might also add a long press to turn the fan off no matter what speed it is operating at.

Goal achieved, I now have three free relay channels for the lights I want to add, for the cost of a single fan controller instead of the cost of a 4-ch DIN relay.

froop, Sep 12, 2011
Ask a Question