LED dimming compatibility

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by swapac, Sep 27, 2017.

1. swapac

switching_on

Thanks Ashley !
    These are my dimmers.
    Clipsal C-BUS L5504D2U Dimmer 4 Channel 2.5A with 200mA C-Bus Power Supply - L5504D2U.

Are my C-Bus dimmers not suitable (not the right kind of phase dimmer)? Or is the problem my old electronic transformers? .... If the C-Bus dimmer units are suitable, then I just replace the transformers with types that work with LEDs. .... If the C-Bus is not compatible with what I am trying to do, maybe I should change all the lights for stuff that works with the C-Bus (I am reluctant to chuck out the C-Bus)

switching_on, Nov 29, 2023
  2. swapac

ss1987

You have a universal (leading and trailing edge compatible) dimmer so that is about as good as it gets apart from the recently released digital dimmers which I haven't personally used. Your best bet is to try some quality phase dimmable drivers. I've just completed the electrical for my new build and I've used a mix of tridonic and brightgreen phase drivers. Both seem to work about as good as I've seen for LED dimming.

ss1987, Nov 30, 2023
  3. swapac

switching_on

Thanks for the great info.

So I took what you said and searched specs on my Dimmers.
    My conclusion is the Dimmers are the right kind of phase dimmer able to drive LEDs
    So next step is to get an electrician to check the transformers,

Does this seem like the right conclusions to you?

See below the info I found.

My C-Bus dimmers.
    ... C-BUS L5504D2U
    ... four universal phase controlled dimming channels
    ... auto-detect load type, including trailing edge for electronic transformer based LV lighting.

Setup and Symptoms
    ... 6 LV light fittings per dimmer channel
    ... With halogen lamps installed: All light fittings work, and dimming works
    ... With dimmable MR16 LEDs (Osram) , 2 lights work and dim properly. 4 lights do nothing.

Cheers

switching_on, Nov 30, 2023
  4. swapac

ashleigh Moderator

Phase dimmable LED lamps are unfortunately a very hit and miss business.

Unless you have a recommendation from someone on here to say that the lamp is tested and work OK, then you should consider it a 50/50 basis that it will or will not be OK.

Unfortunately everyone wants LED lamps that are cheap AND good.

Usually you get cheap OR good.

ashleigh, Dec 10, 2023
  5. swapac

switching_on

Thanks. Great info. Seems I can stick with dimmer I have.
    Some of my drivers work and some don't. Hopefully on inspection I will find I have two brands of driver, with one being fine for teh job ... then per your suggestion look to replacing the brand that does not work.

switching_on, Jan 11, 2024
  6. swapac

switching_on

Thanks.
    It is the lamp fittings that are the mystery. Half the lamp fittings work fine. The other half do not work with LEDs (only work with halogens). ... I tested a bunch of LEDs in one of my "good" fittings (swapped through 10 Osrams, one Phillips and one Primsal). All worked fine including dimming. ... I tested one of the "bad" fittings with a few globes (maybe 5 Osrams and the Phillips) - nothing :(

So I am starting to think it is just the drivers (I might have two different brands). I will test that next

Cheers

switching_on, Jan 11, 2024
Ask a Question