lost product code on CNI.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by deanosc, Aug 29, 2014.

1. deanosc

deanosc

Hi Guys i need help to try and reserect my CNI, I had obtained a second hand CNI from work for my new house. I had to change the old ip address so I used Lantronix Device Installer and selected the automatic ip setting but something must of went wrong because when it finished the program could not even find the device it some how wiped the ip address and also wiped the product code and now not even ip utility can find the device. Is there any way of resetting or reinstalling the firmware or is there any other way of a fix or is this the end game. If there is any one who can help me it would be muchly appreciated.

deanosc, Aug 29, 2014
  2. deanosc

rhamer

There is a method you can try that uses the ARP table.

There are instructions on how to do it in the CNI documentation.

There is also a thread here somewhere where I discussed it, I'll see if I can find it.

Rohan

rhamer, Aug 29, 2014
  3. deanosc

rhamer

This is the thread I was thinking of.

http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11849

It doesn't have the instructions in detail, so you'll still have to get the CNI documentation.

There is also another method as described by Ashleigh in the same thread, which may work too.

Rohan

rhamer, Aug 29, 2014
  4. deanosc

deanosc

CNI lost mac address.

Thanks Rohan for the quick response, I have tried the arp -s command but am receiving a response of The arp entry addition fail:The requested operation requires elevation. I don't know what this means as I am quite new to terminal and ip addressing (which is probably why i messed it up in the first place).what would you recommend I do from here?

deanosc, Aug 30, 2014
  5. deanosc

jboer

Just right click your command prompt shortcut and click 'Run as Administrator"

jboer, Aug 30, 2014
  6. deanosc

deanosc

lost product code

thank for the response jboer but it still does nothing with the arp -s command.

deanosc, Aug 30, 2014
  7. deanosc

rhamer

The first error is a windows permission problem and as jobber said running as administrator will fix that.

The next thing is I assume you are typing more than arp -s ? There should be an IP address and MAC address following that.

The other point that may not be obvious is the arp spoofing (which is what your trying to do) only sets up a temporary communications mechanism to allow you to then use Telnet to actually change the CNI's configuration.

Best bet is to follow the instructions in the CNI documentation exactly, regardless of whether you fully understand what they are doing.

Do you have the CNI installation documentation?

Cheers

Rohan

rhamer, Aug 30, 2014
  8. deanosc

deanosc

CNI lost product code

Yes I have put the ip address and product code in but what I'm unsure of is which ip address do I use because there are two to chose, one is the Wireless Lan adapter WiFi IPv4 address 192.168.0.17 and the other is Ethernet adapter Ethernet Autoconfiguration IPV4 address 169.254.248.117 I assumed it to be the Ethernet adapter but have tried both and this is the original mac address that has vanished 00-20-4A-73-C6-FE
    And yes I have the CNI Documents and yes am now on administrator.

deanosc, Aug 30, 2014
  9. deanosc

rhamer

Firstly, you should simplify your PC by disabling the unused network adapter.

You have 2 distinct subsets, so make the network as simple as possible and give the Lantronix installer the best chance of discovering the CNI
    Then try the Lantronix device installer again and it might now find the CNI.

If not, then continue on with the ARP process.

However when issuing the ARP -s command you do not use the IP address of the PC, but another IP address on the same subnet.

The short story is the arp table is used to map an IP address to a MAC address, and what you are doing is tricking your PC into thinking your CNI is on an IP address that is is not.

Once you then have an entry in your ARP table that maps an IP address to your CNI's MAC address then you can take the next step and use Telnet to establish communication.

Regards

Rohan

rhamer, Aug 30, 2014
  10. deanosc

deanosc

Cni

Thanks Rohan your the best!!!

I disabled the WiFi adapter as well the Bluetooth adapter and just had the Ethernet adapter enabled and it was found by Lantronix Device Installer almost instantly with the original mac address.

I have changed the ip address to 169.254.248.200 with the Lantronix installer and my Ethernet adaptor is on ip address 169.254.248.117 I hope this is correct.

I have entered this new address arp -s 169.254.248.200 00-20-4a-73-c6-fe but comes up with nothing on terminal, or have I already done this first step with the Lantronix installer and then proceed to the Telnet second step?

I'm unsure what to do next?

deanosc, Aug 31, 2014
  11. deanosc

rhamer

If the Lantronix device installer can see the unit, then just use it to set it back to DHCP then you can start again.

Your IP address's seem strange, and I suspect you normally use the wireless network in your laptop?

Once the CNI is set for DHCP, power cycle it and it will get a proper IP address for your network.

Turn back on the adapters on your laptop and you should be ok to then use the Lantronix installer to set a proper IP address for your actual network, which I would guess is the 192.168.0.x subnet.

BTW when choosing a static IP address for the CNI, you should by rights tell your DHCP server (most likely in your internet router) about it, so it doesn't give the same one to some other device. Or you could just roll the dice a bit and set a high address like 192.168.0.2xx and hope you never have over 200 devices on your network. Good enough for a your own home system that you manage.

Cheers

Rohan

rhamer, Aug 31, 2014
  12. deanosc

deanosc

Cni

It looks like I can only use the Ethernet adapter which is set on ip address 169.254.248.117 this is the only adapter that makes a link with the CNI red led turns orange when connected, the WiFi adapter does not turn orange when connected.

When I try and assign an ip address with Lantronix using the obtain an ip address automatically it opens another window with DHCP ticked, BOOTP ticked,AUTO IP ticked, and CLEAR GATEWAY ticked then click on next when its complete everything disappears again and the CNI can't be found, then when I find it again after disabling adapters again it comes back with ip address 169.254.163.217 and on ip utility it has same ip with netmask 255.255.255.255, gateway 0.0.0.0, CNI TCP Port 0.

Still no shore what I'm doing wrong?

deanosc, Aug 31, 2014
  13. deanosc

ashleigh Moderator

Because your PC hard wired IP address starts 169.254. this indicates use of "atuo IP". This means your PC has chosen an IP address by itself as there is no DHCP server dishing out addresses.

If thats the case I suggest you go into your network settings and pick a fixed address for your WIRED ethernet adaptor on the PC of 192.168.0.1. Set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0.

Then use the Lantronix tools to assign an IP address to the CNI of 192.168.0.100; subnet mask 255.255.255.0.

After that they should be able to talk OK.

If you had a (wired) DHCP server you would do different (and get it to do much of the work).

ashleigh, Sep 1, 2014
  14. deanosc

deanosc

Cni

Thanks Ash I followed your advice and set the ip's the way you described but still not shore what to do next, is it the arp -s command or telnet. If it's arp I have entered arp -s 192.168.0.100 00-20-4a-73-c6-fe and the response is, The arp entry addition failed: Access is denied.

Also after reconfiguring the ip addresses I used ip utility, It comes up with the wright ip address and netmask but gateway is 0.0.0.0 and CNI TCP Port is set on 0. Does this need to change?

Cheers.

deanosc, Sep 1, 2014
  15. deanosc

ashleigh Moderator

If in doubt, use the Lantronix DeviceInstaller s/w. Its a free download from Lantronix and it will discover and set most pathological / nasty cases.

The Clipsal IP utility will work in many cases but it has some quirks which can make it a bit annoying. In some cases it just won't work at all. Thats why I suggest the Lantronix.

http://www.lantronix.com/device-networking/utilities-tools/device-installer.html

ashleigh, Sep 2, 2014
  16. deanosc

deanosc

CNI Fixed

Just wanted to say THANK YOU to Rohan, Ash and jboer for all your help with steering me in the wright direction.

I have now got a fully functional CNI that is communicating with the network,toolkit,cbus as I type.

Thank you;

Dean.

deanosc, Sep 3, 2014
  17. deanosc

countach

Tip

A tip for people, if you want your devices such as the CNI to have a fixed IP address, instead of programming the device to have a particular IP address, leave it as DHCP and tell your router to assign it an IP address based on its MAC address. Your router then becomes a single place to find definitively what IP addresses are assigned where, and you never get yourself into trouble with a device with a forgotten or wrong IP address. You also never have conflicting addresses.

countach, Sep 5, 2014
  18. deanosc

ashleigh Moderator

This is generally good advice. What's important also is to make sure there is only a single router or other DHCP server on the LAN. These days lots of devices include DHCP servers so some effort may be needed to turn off all those not needed.

Multiple DHCP servers on a LAN *is* a defined thing, ie it is considered normal even if doing so leads to great confusion.

ashleigh, Sep 6, 2014
Ask a Question