Multiple Homegate PC's

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by Damaxx, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Damaxx

Damaxx

I hope you can clarify this for me gents. If I wanted to run multiple pc's running homegate and a wiser unit, do I have to port them to the first pc running C-gate?

I have a ethernet CNI and I am not using the one on the wiser unit.

Appreciate any ideas.

Damaxx, Feb 26, 2010
  2. Damaxx

Newman

The CNI can only have 1 socket connected at any given time. This means that only one instance of C-Gate can be connected to the CNI at once. You can point the multiple installs of HomeGate at the one machine running C-Gate.

Newman, Feb 26, 2010
  3. Damaxx

Damaxx

Cheer

Thanks Newman.

It was only when I just installed homegate on the second PC that I say the C-gate question, local or remote computer......

Only ever done a couple of installs with homegate. Apolgies for asking the bleeding obvious.

Damaxx, Feb 27, 2010
  4. Damaxx

Damaxx

Wiser

Just wanted to ask, how do you connect wiser and homegate through one CNI?
    The PC i am using has C-Gate running on it but I cannot work out how to get the wiser and homegate talking at once.

I understand as Newman stated in the earlier post that there can be only one socket connection to the CNI at any one time, but I assume there must be a way to port either homegate to the wiser or, (obviously less likely) the wiser to homegate?

Appreciate some help

Damaxx, May 30, 2010
  5. Damaxx

Darren Senior Member

This is basically the same problem again. If Wiser is using the CNI, then another device can not use it at the same time. If you have another device (such as C-Gate) connect to the Wiser's CNI, then the Wiser user interface is essentially locked out.

No.

Darren, May 31, 2010
  6. Damaxx

Damaxx

Thanks for replying Darren. Is it feasible to have 2 CNIs on one network or will they clash both trying to control the same groups?

Damaxx, May 31, 2010
  7. Damaxx

kjayakumar

There's no problem having multiple CNIs on one C-Bus network or one IP network. That said, if you set your kitchen lights to on using one CNI, and then at exactly the same time, your twin sets them to off using the other CNI, then naturally whichever command comes in last will be the actual state of the lights.

The same is true of a Wiser, if you have multiple iPhones connected, the latest command actuates the current state.

kjayakumar, Jun 1, 2010
  8. Damaxx

Damaxx

Thanks for the reply. I will drag out the wiser CNI that I filed somewhere and get it going again.

Cheers

Damaxx, Jun 1, 2010
  9. Damaxx

garouproxy

Hi Guys. I have another question with regards to using the CNI and Homegate. Can you run Homegate through one CNI and at the same time have a Crestron unit accessing the C-BUS network over the same CNI?

I want to use Homegate to run schedules and logic but need the Crestron for some touch panels specified by our client.

garouproxy, Jul 7, 2010
  10. Damaxx

Newman

The CNI can only have one connection active at any given time, so the simple answer is no.

C-Gate however, which is used by Homegate, can support multiple connections. If there is a Crestron module that can talk to C-Gate, it could then be done.

Newman, Jul 7, 2010
  11. Damaxx

garouproxy

Thanx Newman. I think I will go for the CNI to connect to Homegate and another serial PCI for the Crestron. Seems there will be less issues that way.

garouproxy, Jul 7, 2010
  12. Damaxx

NickD Moderator

Hi Damaxx,

Curious why you have a spare Wiser CNI? Why isn't it connected to your Wiser?

Do you realise that it's different to the DIN rail CNI? Unlike the DIN rail CNI, the inline CNI that is part of the Wiser has a battery backed real-time clock to maintain the time on C-Bus in the event that the Wiser loses its internet connection (and hence NTP reference)... this is an integral part of the timekeeping and scheduling aspect of the Wiser platform.

Nick

NickD, Jul 8, 2010
  13. Damaxx

Damaxx

I mainly used the wiser as an interface for my media centre in my home theatre room Nick and never used it for scheduling, etc. I used homegate for the majority of that and already had a CNI on my network. Its only now that I am finally getting around to running it on the internet and discovered why I needed the second CNI. I have been using my house as more of a testing base for other installs and like a mechanics car.... well lets just say I have about 1000 projects on the go at once.
    Getting the wiser unit running was just one.

Damaxx, Jul 9, 2010
Ask a Question