Network Not Opening

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Peleroda, Jul 22, 2024.

1. Peleroda

Peleroda

Hi All,
    I have had CBus lighting running for several years interfaced to an Elk M1 Alarm Panel ( I work in Electronic Security) Originally it was connected to a PC via a Serial interface but over the years it wasn't really touched as it just worked. I upgraded my Alarm panel to Inner range Integriti and the PC also had been upgraded. I fitted a Network interface in place of the serial and attempted to reconnect to my Cbus network. I had a config file which had all the devices on it, I scanned the Network and found the the CNI but the system continues to give me an error message saying Unable to Open network. I have updated firmware on all relevant devices, my lights on the CNI appear to be showing the correct thing. Ethernet: Red with green flashes Cbus: Steady orange
    Can anybody help me to re-establish a connection to my network and then get it to open..

Peleroda, Jul 22, 2024
  2. Peleroda

Ashley

Check for a correct cbus burden. If the serial interface had a burden , you need to enable it on the CNI. Alternatively if there is a burden somewhere else in the system, you may also have it enabled on the CNI.

Ashley, Jul 23, 2024
  3. Peleroda

Peleroda

Thanks Ashley I checked and could not find any burden on the network. I then found the old serial interface & a laptop which connected but the network would still not open

Peleroda, Jul 31, 2024
  4. Peleroda

Ashley

Time to break out the Cbus diagnostic utility. Run it on both interfaces and see what you get. It will give you a lot more information than toolkit.

Ashley, Aug 2, 2024
  5. Peleroda

Trevor

Hi,
    You say you din't have a burden, did the PC or serial interface have one?
    Try using a hardware Burden, It's just an RC network...
    100R or 1k and 0.01 or 0.1 cap i forget were i saw it, but a hardware burden is more reliable than a S/W one.

Trevor, Aug 13, 2024
  6. Peleroda

oracle

when say old serial inerface are you talking beige box with db9 at the bottom? or din module?
    if the old version open the 2 screws lift top cover off and move jumper pin on top of pc board that says burden
    to the pins. if din rail pc interface you might be best to try and enable the software burden in a relay or dimmer
    h**ps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD7hF5ExXNg
    only work if learn mode is still enabled to put relay into learn mode. that is if the burden is the issue, sounds more like a configuration issue in toolkit. go to toolkit go to project and right click on network - edit network and ensure it is looking on the right spot

oracle, Aug 16, 2024
Ask a Question