pac unit for scenes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by deanonz, Nov 29, 2008.

1. deanonz

deanonz

I have a customer who has slimline (sc series) switches in house and doesnt want to go to the expense of purchasing new switches with scene capability. So he wants to use a pac unit to control scenes. I can`t see the benefit in this as very limited by the commands entered and more difficult to program. Any other reasons to put him off this idea?

deanonz, Nov 29, 2008
  2. deanonz

ashleigh Moderator

Actually its probably equally "painful" to program. Much of a muchness to compare them.

Depending on the number of switches involved the PAC is probably cheaper (I expect the break point is probably about 6 to 10 switches to be replaced or more.... it would then be cheaper to put in a PAC).

Alternatively, put in a B&W touchscreen and put the scenes in there. Some bling for the bucks that way.

Note that at this time, new 2000 series switches do not have scenes. So changing switches, you'd have to go to Neo, Saturn or Reflection.

ashleigh, Nov 29, 2008
  3. deanonz

froop

I went through this myself. In order to save money with my CBus install I used standard Slimline keypads throughout (for our home I preferred Slimline over Neo, Saturn or Reflection anyway)

Where I may have only wanted a 2 keys, I put a 4-key Slimline in, so I could use the others for scene control. Added a PAC and I control my scenes using group triggers.

Personally, I don't think there's any reason for you to put him off the idea.

froop, Nov 30, 2008
  4. deanonz

Darren Senior Member

The biggest disadvantage with storing scenes in a PAC is that it will be difficult for the end user to edit the scenes if they need to. It is possible to write logic in the PAC to store changes to a scene, but you will need to trigger this somehow.

Darren, Nov 30, 2008
Ask a Question