PAC with ethernet possible?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by znelbok, May 10, 2006.

1. znelbok

znelbok

I have always used a CNI for my network and find it much more flexable than a PCI, mainly because the PC is not near the area that the CNI is installed and a PCI would have no place near the computer desk.

Looking at the new PAC I understand that it can be used as a PC interface to the network for configuration and it uses a USB interface for this.

Is there a network version in the wings - Once again a PAC in my situation would be installed in a location very remote from the PC that configuration is done on and even using a laptop would be difficult as it would mean that you would ned to be standing with one hand holding the laptop while you configure - not condusive to a safe working environment (ergonomically of safety wise). I could move the PAC (or interface) to a better location but then I would have a one off in an undesirable location that may get in the way of other things. I would rather group all non-load C-bus items together (bridge, aux inputs, CNI, PAC etc).

Is there any interest in a PAC out there with ethernet instead of USB or is it just me?

Mick

znelbok, May 10, 2006
  2. znelbok

Darren Senior Member

There is some interest in this, but there are no short term plans for doing a PAC with Ethernet.

Darren, May 10, 2006
  3. znelbok

ashleigh Moderator

Let me add my 2 cents worth. There are no plans. There are other products that will deliver more value from the available limited engineering staff.

ashleigh, May 10, 2006
  4. znelbok

MichaelCarey

I've used some TCP/IP to RS232 interfaces before (like how the Lantronix driver sets up a virtual com port for the CNI), it's possible that there is something similar (but with USB instead of serial) that can be used for the PAC.
    Does the PAC go into a "programming" mode when the USB cable is plugged in? Or can you leave a PC connected all the time?

MichaelCarey, May 10, 2006
  5. znelbok

Charlie Crackle

I have used a USB1.1 extender USB to Cat5 then Cat 5 to USB 1.1 works OK. support 50 meters of cat cable

Charles

Charlie Crackle, May 10, 2006
  6. znelbok

Darren Senior Member

Not until the computer sends the appropriate commands.
    Yes.

If you use the PAC as a PCI though, you will need to unplug the cable to reset the operation mode.

Darren, May 11, 2006
Ask a Question