PCI > RS232 > USB > MacOS

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by drn, Aug 13, 2024.

1. drn

drn

Hi,

Just wanted to share my experiences of moving from a 5500CN (whose power supply has failed) to an old 5500PC RS232 connected directly to my Mac Mini via an RS232/USB lead. I didn't want to use ser2sock, given that CGate was running locally on the Mac anyway.

I purchased this FTDI lead (which has the correct male thumbscrews for the PCI):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006AA04K0?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I was running MacOS Catalina, which includes built-in support for the FTDI interface.

Connecting CGate to this involved 3 steps:
    1. Copying the cgate/lib/libjspMacOSX.jnilib.x64 to cgate/libjspMacOSX.jnilib (Not sure if this was required, but was following the advice in cgate/lib/serial-readme.txt)
    2. Finding the name of the USB device:
      ls /dev/tty/usbserial-*
    3. Using this value, without the /dev/tty/ prefix in the relevant place with the XML file in the tag folder. In my case:
      <Interface><InterfaceType>Serial</InterfaceType><InterfaceAddress>usbserial-B002EG1T</InterfaceAddress></Interface>
    This is all that was required to be able start CGate using this USB lead.

Now I just need to see if I can fix the internal power supply board on my 5500CN Network Interface. Any suggestions for any repair options? I've sent units back to Schneider in the past. Would they accept a 20 year old CNI?!?

Ben

drn, Aug 13, 2024
Ask a Question