Pci To Cni

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Josh, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Josh

Josh

I have a PC Interface and I really cannot financially justify buying a CNI as well. Seeing that CNI is indead a PCI with a Ethernet to RS-232 Converter (Lantronix), any idea on where I could get a cheap Ethernet to RS232.:)

At this stage I am even considering using one of my old pcs as an Ethernet to RS-232 converter. Not really a the best of ideas, but I cannot really justify an additional CNI on top of the current PCI. I can see the CNI benefits, but still I cannot justify the costs.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2007
    Josh, Mar 7, 2007
  2. Josh

Charlie Crackle

Charlie Crackle, Mar 7, 2007
  3. Josh

Josh

Josh, Mar 7, 2007
  4. Josh

Ingo

I ended up using a 4-Port PockePad from MultEnet. It works great and I have three ports available for things like a Video Switcher, Russound MRA and one spare. It even has one RS-232/485 port for those funny ones that need long distances.

Ingo, Mar 7, 2007
  5. Josh

Richo

The CNI requires a power cable and plug pack. The best you can hope for is a unit that support PoE (Power over Ethernet) but you would also require a hub/switch/router that supports PoE as well.

Richo, Mar 7, 2007
  6. Josh

justinlee777

Gd day,

Just browsing through, but could not help but reply this:

Referring to Josh enquiry on "converting a PCI to CNI" without the hefty cost. We also faced the same problem in Singapore - especially when owners faced budget constraints and we are having hell over water on the type of cost-effective interfaces over TCP/IP.

We are currently using LANTRONIX UDS1100:
    - need 5V adaptor and din rail mount kit, but are supplied) infront of the PCI to act as a CNI altogether
    - you can use the C-Touch RS-232 programming cable to connect the RJ45 Serial Jack in the PCI and the D-Sub 9PIN RS232 to the LANTRONIX 25-pin via a 9pin to 25pin converter
    - However, do bear in mind that you would need to specify the ports to the Toolkit or Citect to access it properly i.e. 14000 -- works like a charm.

Of course in due time this solution varies from project to project due to implementation cost -- we would switch back to CNI if budget allows, installation is way simpler.

Cheers ;-)

Justin Lee
    MSN: [email protected]
    email: [email protected]

justinlee777, May 14, 2007
Ask a Question