Power monitoring in Wiser

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wiser 1 Controller' started by Conformist, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Conformist

Ashley

On the bottom of the Power Meter Manager it says "Max rate >1min between pulses". Is this a typo and should it be >1sec?

Thanks for the application clarification. When I downloaded the protocols I missed the measurement application so assumed the metering application was being used. My interest is that I am writing an application to interface a CurrentCost energy meter to CBus which supports up to 10 wireless transmitters, each with 3 clip on sensors and outputs power information every 6 seconds.

Ashley

Ashley, Aug 10, 2010
  2. Conformist

Darren Senior Member

This is telling you that the maximum rate between pulses for the meters you have entered is greater than 1 minute between pulses.

I will clarify this in the Power Meter Manager and help file.

Darren, Aug 10, 2010
  3. Conformist

NickD Moderator

This is actually calculated from the information you've put in, as a guide to show you the amount of traffic that the power meters you are configuring will generate... if you add another meter, or change the settings (max power or Wh/pulse) you will see this number change.

Cool - how are you planning to tackle the interface to C-Bus?

Nick

NickD, Aug 10, 2010
  4. Conformist

Ashley

The message appears even when there are no power meters installed which is a bit confusing, so perhaps just hiding the message in that case would be a good option.

The CurrentCost outputs instantaneous watts on each sensor every 6 seconds in XML format. This is currently going into an off the shelf PIC module (a Futurlec PIC18F8722) and stored on an SD card for later transfer to a PC. I have existing PIC code that talks to a 5500PC currently controlling led RGB lighting in my theatre. Now I have the measurment application protocol I will use this to put the power data onto CBus and hopefully it will appear on the Wiser power widget.

I'll post some pictures on a new thread shortly when it's up and running.

Ashley

Ashley, Aug 10, 2010
  5. Conformist

John Harnett

Very interesting, I was thinking of doing this for the serial feed from my solar panel inverter. Currently it's getting logged on the house BSD server, but I was thinking of knocking together a small micro hooked up to one of the CBUS PCB interface modules to have it show up in CBUS land as well. I was also pondering if I could use C-Gate (also on the BSD server) to do the same thing as an initial step.

With some coding behind it all I was wondering if it maybe able to check things like 'yes, the IR command to the A/C unit did actually turn it on' by spotting a matching spike in power consumption ;-)

John Harnett, Aug 11, 2010
  6. Conformist

abg

Can the EN40 be used with CT's and applying the multiplier? If not is there something else similar that can be?

abg, Aug 11, 2010
  7. Conformist

NickD Moderator

The EN40 is a real power meter, wired in series with the load, so I doubt this is possible.

What's the problem you're trying to solve?

Nick

NickD, Aug 12, 2010
  8. Conformist

NickD Moderator

Do you have a anything with a logic engine that supports socket connections? (Colour C-Touch, Wiser, Homegate, S+).

If so you could retrieve the data from your BSD server from the logic engine using a socket connection (with a little bit of code running on your server... actually.. if your data is available already via a webserver you can use the new GetHTTPData and ReadHTTPData functions in the logic engine.)

Once you have the data in the logic engine, if you have an analogue power meter configured, I think you should be able to use the logic engine and the SetInbuiltSystemIO "Measurement App Real Value" function to set the power level of your Power meter (you'll have to tick the "controllable" option when you configure the meter).

Hehe... interesting idea but I forsee a lot of debugging to make it robust :)

Nick

NickD, Aug 12, 2010
  9. Conformist

Mark

Mark, Aug 12, 2010
  10. Conformist

Ingo

I use a Schneider PM9C and external CT's with my ComfortClient software, but that is a Modbus interface. They also have a PM9P with pulse output that might also work.

Ingo.

Ingo, Aug 12, 2010
  11. Conformist

abg

I have CT's running a 200A service. At the moment I am using the Owl heavy duty version which can handle the large diameter cables which just display (I expect a somewhat fuzzy) kw/H reading (and some others).

It would be great to be able to process the data via an Aux input unit via Homegate similarly to Conformist's power monitoring (I have one spare channel on my existing Aux unit).

abg, Aug 13, 2010
  12. Conformist

Newman

The Aux Input unit can only accept binary inputs. It is not able to measure a level. For that, you need to use the General Input Unit.

Newman, Aug 13, 2010
  13. Conformist

abg

Ooops - meant GIU. That's actually what I have...

abg, Aug 13, 2010
  14. Conformist

conor1

Ime single phase 65a energy meter

high have been looking at IME active energy meter which outputs 1 impulse /10wh used my concern is that it states max.110v dc /ac 50ma will this be a problem with an auxilary input .
    thanks in advance .

conor1, Aug 25, 2010
  15. Conformist

Newman

The Auxiliary input unit only accepts dry contact inputs. Can you give some more information about what you intend to do?

Newman, Aug 25, 2010
  16. Conformist

conor1

Hi Newman ,
    Was going to connect pulsed output to auxiliary input and then link into wiser energy widget , I have since read that the auxiliary input is isolated so this shouldn't be a problem it was just that on a previous job we' had used bus coupler to get a command from a set of gates to stArt a sequence of events and it gave us a few headache s due to the bus coupler not being isolated .
    Regards conor

conor1, Aug 26, 2010
Ask a Question