Powering dimmer units

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nightlight12, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Nightlight12

Nightlight12

Hi, Im trying to find out some information for a friend about what cable is needed from the consumer unit to the lighting boards, ?

He as 2 4way boards one with 4x 8channel dimmers and the other one with 2x 8channel dimmers 1x 4 channel 0-10dimmer
    And A DMX controller.

He as done some basic training but said It didn’t really go into good detail, the sparky on site has said he will pull a 6mm and 2.5mm. Any help would be much appreciated many thanks

Nightlight12, Aug 27, 2018
  2. Nightlight12

DarylMc

The sparky is going to install the gear but has limited experience?
    He really should download, read and understand all the installation instructions for each unit before planning his wiring layout or purchasing the CBus units..

DarylMc, Aug 27, 2018
  3. Nightlight12

Nightlight12

Thanks for the reply, yeah he no’s how to wire the in the circuits into to the dimmers etc.. but is unsure about what supply he should take from the consumer unit to power them up. Should he run separate power feed to each dimmer or just one and split it between dimmers? Also if you have any links that you could post so I could pass them on would be great. Thanks

Nightlight12, Aug 27, 2018
  4. Nightlight12

NickD Moderator

Sounds like pretty basic sparky stuff to me. If it were my place I'd be looking for a different sparky.

Nick

NickD, Aug 28, 2018
  5. Nightlight12

DarylMc

For reliability and fault finding CBus power supplies and CBus output channels should be on separate RCD's and breakers.
    Previously it may have been common to run a single non RCD circuit to a sub board of CBus output units and do RCD and circuit arrangement from there.
    That may not satisfy current or near future requirements for RCD protection.
    I recommend the electrician discuss the wiring layout and wiring rules with his technical adviser or electrical contractor association.

DarylMc, Aug 30, 2018
Ask a Question