Random activation of relays with no indication they have been activated.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MathewDickerson, Dec 28, 2023.

1. MathewDickerson

MathewDickerson

I have a very strange issue with a C-Bus system and I need some help with it.

I have a distributed C-Bus system setup with DIN mounted C-Bus relays in 3 separate locations. The main location has 6 C-Bus relays with the 2 other locations, approximately 40m away each, having 2 C-Bus relays each. For the sake of simplicity, call these 3 locations:

1. Central
    2. Gate
    3. Deck

For the last 2 months, with no rhyme or reason that I can determine, the relays at the Gate location will turn on. Not every relay every time but many of them on one relay. I have a Wiser 2 box setup as well but when I look on the app on my phone, it shows that none of the relays are activated. The relays are connected to lights and watering solenoids.

When they come on, you can quite clearly see by looking at the lights or the sprinklers that the relays are turned on.

The only way to turn them off is to turn on each relay and then turn it off again. There is no indication on the app or on the physical LED units on the unit itself that each relay is on. When you turn them on via the app or on the unit, there is an indication that they are on and then they can be turned off as normal.

I need some help in troubleshooting this.

I have underground ethernet cables that run to both Gate and Deck and I haven’t checked to see if moisture has gotten in to that cabling. I suspect that the C-Bus unit itself is faulty but I don’t want to go to the expense of replacing that only to find that isn’t the issue.

Can you give me any suggestions on troubleshooting this problem please?

MathewDickerson, Dec 28, 2023
  2. MathewDickerson

Charlie Crackle

connect tool kit to serial or USB PCI and leave running on a PC then look at the cbus log after it happens and see what turned them on. the c-bus protocol is very reliable and not prone to these false triggers

Charlie Crackle, Dec 29, 2023
  3. MathewDickerson

bmerrick

Do what Charlie suggests but a detail you mentioned 'Gate' and the relay doing lights piqued my interest.

Is there a 5750WPL outdoor passive infrared motion sensor near the gate to turn on driveway lighting etc on on approach?

These can fill up with water and pull the local C-Bus voltage low killing comms. If there is one there, flick the head gently from the bottom, if you see any splashing inside the lens or there is mould etc discoloration or a cracked front lens, disconnect from the C-Bus pink cable and replace unit.

Had three full of water at clients this month with all the rain.

bmerrick, Dec 30, 2023
  4. MathewDickerson

Niloo

Hi guys
    I have a similar issue.
    The C-Bus ( probably more than 6 yrs i stalled) is running random lights and fans in the house every couple of minutes
    The touch screen is frozen
    The keys on the wall are not working

3 yrs ago after a power surge, the touch screen stopped working and was replaced

i am not an electrician so all i know is they installed a new touch screen and checked with the computer

is there any advice you guys can give me

Niloo, Jan 24, 2024
  5. MathewDickerson

DarylMc

Make sure all your circuit breakers are on.
    Power cycle the touch screen eg turn the power off for a few minutes and then back on.

DarylMc, Jan 24, 2024
Ask a Question