Remote network, CNI and PCI

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by znelbok, Sep 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. znelbok

znelbok

I have CQC running at the moment and I want to issue a command to a group on a remote network.

On my network I have a CNI (for configuration of networks) at adderss 0, and a Din rail PCI at address 230 (E6).

The bridge is working fine and is set to pass all command to the adjacent network.

I cant get CQC to turn loads on on the remote network. I connected the diagnositc utility up and monitored the traffic (connected through the CNI) and this is what I got.
    [​IMG]
    The first line is what the diagnostic utility is seeing as the command from CQC via the PCI. This does not turn the load on.
    The next three lines are a local key input toggling the load - and that works fine.
    lines 5 &6 are via CQC and the PCI again - and it does not work.
    The last two are via the diagnostic utilty and it works.

I changed the config of CQC to now use the CNI instead of the PCI and (not making any other changes), clicked the same button on the screen and the load on the remote network came on.

So it would appear that the PCI is the casue of the problem.

It must be noted that the PCI does not show up in toolkit properly. It is a din rail PCI and not what is shown in the image. THis is what toolkit detects it as.
    [​IMG]
    As you can see it is at address 230 (which is E6). Is it at fault as I suspect, or have I made a fundamental mistake somewhere.

Mick

znelbok, Sep 22, 2006
  2. znelbok

ashleigh Moderator

You PCI is f/w ver 3.11.

For a command from QCQ (presumably this is charmed quark) to pass thru a PCI and then a bridge, you need a ver 4 PCI, and you need it to be in LOCAL_SAL mode.

You will need to buy a newer PCI, and your folks who did the CQC driver are hopefully setting the mode properly anyhow.

ashleigh, Sep 23, 2006
  3. znelbok

rhamer

The Folk that did the driver for CQC would have put it in that mode if he knew what that mode was :)

Is that the mode that the public release protocol will place the PCI in? I'm assuming so as it works accross the bridge with the CNI.

Would you think that the folk who wrote the CQC driver might be better off using the Windows DLL, assuming he can get it to work with the newly aquired and very economicly priced, Borland compiler?

Cheers

Rohan

rhamer, Sep 23, 2006
  4. znelbok

znelbok

Well this sucks big time. The CNI was purchased well before the PCI (six months) and I have been screwed over with an old model. Not happy about that at all. Remmber this is NOT a 5100PC as shown but a din rail model (5500PC).

So basically what you are saying is that the PCI is only good for local network stuff and if I ever wanted to use a wireless bridge or network bridge I need a new one :-(

znelbok, Sep 23, 2006
  5. znelbok

ashleigh Moderator

Pretty strange for you to get a ver 3.11 PCI.

Version 4 firmware was released over 2.5 years ago.

Are you the victim of old stock?

If you are an integrator or installer, can you use this on a job site for commissioning, where the ver 4 features are not needed, and use another one in the site that needs ver 4 features?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2006
    ashleigh, Sep 24, 2006
  6. znelbok

ashleigh Moderator

Answers:

For your excitement and delectation, I've checked for you. The public release protocol sets out a set of commands that you need to issue on start-up, and this includes setting LOCAL_SAL mode.

This means that when a bridge or gateway is set to forward traffic to an adjacent network, commands issued by a PCI will pass through that bridge or gateway. (Note that there are two conditions here: the gateway or bridge must be correctly set up, and the PCI likewise.)

LOCAL_SAL mode only appeared in PCI version 4 and later, so attempts to use this with version 3 PCI's won't work.

The performance of the interface would be better using the DLL, which is freely available and provides much more extensive support, not only for the lighting application, but for multiple networks and other cbus applications as well. Be aware, though, that the DLL will be periodically updated, and there will be little or no notice given of such updates (that being the nature of a free download).

ashleigh, Sep 24, 2006
  7. znelbok

znelbok

Purchased it 3.5 years ago.

So this is what I dont get

My CNI shows firmware 3.5 and it works. I know that a CNI is pretty much just a PCI with a device server. This works fine so why not the other
    [​IMG]

And no I am not an integrator - thats why it hurts so much.

When is CIS going to introduce upgradable products. There have been a few upgrades in firmware that would have been ideal but due to the cost of harware it is not feasible to buy new gear just for the firmware.

Mick

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2006
    znelbok, Sep 24, 2006
  8. znelbok

ashleigh Moderator

CNI firmware 3.5 is not the same as the version of PCI firmware thats in the CNI (its Lantronix firmware 3.5).

If the PCI is 3.5 years old then it was current at that time - its just that things have moved on since then. (Showing the wrong picture in Toolkit is simply a MINOR toolkit prob - in showing the picture ONLY).

You want upgradable products... how much more you willing to pay ??? Who does the upgrades??? How does CIS ensure that all & sundry can apply an upgrade with no special tools or equipment and that its totally foolproof???

There are many reasons why only top-of-the-range products are upgradable and others are not.

My suggestion is that you buy a new PCI, and sell the current one either to an installer, or on eBay, or similar. Its perfectly good for all other jobs apart from what you want to use it for, you should be able to get a decent price for it.

ashleigh, Sep 24, 2006
  9. znelbok

znelbok

OT - Upgradable products

No extra needs to be paid. CIS should be adding this as a serice to its customers. Once you install a C-Bus system you are kind of locked-in, unlike a conventional system where you can use anyone mechs and dimmers

As to who does it - anyoine who wants too. How many examples do you want of user upgradable (and cheap) consumner items. Every STB (sat for FTA) out there is a good example, routers are another. WHile most will never do an upgrade, it is possible for it to be done.

I am not sure of the direction you are trying to come from with your statement, you are selling a product that required a degree of technical knowledge about it, and hence the person or persons installing/configuring would be techinically capable of doing an upgrade. It may require a special tool buit that is for CIS to determine - as for foolproof, mistakes can happen and there a numerous examples of patching going wrong.

Mick

znelbok, Sep 24, 2006
Ask a Question