Resetting Ctouch

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by Dave Byron, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Dave Byron

Dave Byron

I have a problem with a B&W touch - its one used for testing so just a relay, short lead to ctouch.
    This unit has worked before and has the latest firmware, mgr june 2005 and reboots every 7 seconds
    so how can I get control of it????.

dave

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2005
    Dave Byron, Aug 1, 2005
  2. Dave Byron

Darren Senior Member

Darren, Aug 2, 2005
  3. Dave Byron

Dave Byron

Darren
    I was testing the interface leads on it to sort out the bad ones and I think when a bad lead was plug in and I tried to connect it went into that condition

Will be down in adelaide next week so will bring it and some of the leads that giving problems with us so can have a look

dave

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2005
    Dave Byron, Aug 2, 2005
  4. Dave Byron

Darren Senior Member

There have been some conflicting reports on how to get the units into this state. I managed to make one do this without a failed download. I will post futher details as they become available.

Darren, Aug 3, 2005
  5. Dave Byron

Darren Senior Member

It turns out that if you download a Scene with no Scene Items in it, then the Black and White C-Touch will not start-up. This was the problem with the project sent in by one of our users.

Can anyone confirm whether their projects with the same problem also had empty Scenes ?

PICED V3 does not allow the user to create empty Scenes, so I assume that these projects must have been imported from the C-Touch Configuration software.

Darren, Aug 3, 2005
  6. Dave Byron

Hugert

It seems to me to be a hassle with the piced software , the old version of the ctouch software never gave me any hassles . I converted an old project to the piced standard and downloaded it . The ctouch screen was fine after the download , untill i lost power on the bus . When power was restored it was stuck in the initializing condition rebooting every seven seconds .The project did not have any blank scenes in it .
    I hope they can come up with a fix for this problem as it really is a hassle if that is going to happen to all the screens that i install .For the time being i will be using the old software ctouchv1.2 which is a pity as the piced really seems like a great enhancement in the software category . Currently i am also trying out the pascal automation controller , it seems ok so far . i guess it will still have to prove itself to me .

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2005
    Hugert, Aug 3, 2005
  7. Dave Byron

Charlie Crackle

I imported my config to version 3 Piced downloaded all worked OK. (No scenes)

I only found the problem when the power when out and then then Ctouch BW kept resetting after the power was restoed to CBUS.

The only way I found to get around this was the fire up cbus with Ctouch disconnected and the connect and the ctouch works fine.

Just a pain when ever power is lost !!

I was going to build a project from scratch and download and see if that fixes the issue...

Charles

Charlie Crackle, Aug 3, 2005
  8. Dave Byron

Darren Senior Member

It sounds like you are having the same symptoms. Can you export your project archive and send it to CIS technical support. Let them know that they need to send it to me, and I will see what is going on.

Darren, Aug 4, 2005
  9. Dave Byron

Darren Senior Member

Your symptoms are slightly different. It is odd that applying power to all of C-Bus (including C-Touch) produced different results to applying power to C-Bus then to C-Touch.

Can I get you to send your project archive to Technical Support and get them to forward it to me too ?

Darren, Aug 4, 2005
  10. Dave Byron

heinp

PICED or No PICED

I also experienced the same results as Hugert on 3 touch screens in succession 2 days ago.
    I'm also aware of an old touch screen (at least 2 years old) which did the same without any interference/downloading.(Installation done with V2 s/w and old C-Touch s/w)
    The client just phoned up our SI one evening when the touch screen started resetting itself continuously. I'm not aware if it was preceeded with a power failure however.

I have tried to re-create the problem off-site, with no success.
    Following is extracts from the email I sent to Cliff at Tech Support today.
    It describes what I've done during this test, maybe it will help.

Hi Cliff,

Regarding the touch screen problem.

After restarting everything this morning, I was able to connect to the touch screen after a whole day?s battle to do that yesterday.
    Every successive attempt to connect from there onwards was successful, so that doesn?t seem to be a problem anymore. (Don?t know why but none the less.)

The ?bad? news however was that I could not re-create the ?initialize-snag? again.
    I am going to list every step I?ve done, maybe you pick something up from it.

Take into account that I?ve used the same program on 3 previous units, and all of them show the same effects. (Run ? of the way through ?initialize? process, then restarts the process again and staying in that loop.)

1. New b&w touch screen. (Mfg. 7 Jul 2005 ? s/n: 1001572208)
    2. Toolkit 1.1.6
    3. PICED 3.1.0
    4. Created new project & downloaded to TS
    5. Downloaded OK
    6. Created ?dimmer? button. It worked OK.
    7. Created new scene & downloaded (no other scenes in scene manager). Worked OK.
    8. Created second scene as well & downloaded. Worked OK

9. Load another project that was originally created on old C-Touch s/w (the program which I used on 3 F@#$%d touch screens).
    10. Deleted empty scene & downloaded. Worked OK.

11. Imported another project with empty scene from old C-Touch s/w to PICED & downloaded. Worked OK.
    12. I tried this about 3 times and it worked ok every time.

13. I must also mention that on the previous 3 units, the first 2 was initially programmed with old C-Touch s/w and that only one of them started with the snag intermittently. Only after I downloaded the new firmware (ver 2.0 ) and config file (config.mot), did it continually have the error.
    Touch screen nr. 3 however was done with PICED from the start and had the snag from the start.

I was pretty sure that the empty scene may have been the problem, but now I?m not convinced anymore. Will keep you posted if I find anything else.
    :confused:

Hein

heinp, Aug 4, 2005
  11. Dave Byron

Darren Senior Member

Thanks for all of that testing. I really appreciate the help.

To make the fault appear, I found that you had to download a project with an empty Scene and then after it re-starts, remove and re-apply power. It is the on the second time it re-starts after a download that the problem occurs.

It is not clear from your very extensive notes whether you power cycled the C-Touch again after downloading a project with an empty scene. Note that doing this may very well kill your C-Touch :(

Darren, Aug 5, 2005
  12. Dave Byron

heinp

Darren,

After I sent the original email, I went back to the test bench to cycle the power. It did nothing. Still could not re-create the problem.

I got some more more info from some of the other SI's who experienced just this. I've sent the email to Cliff at Tech Support again, but it does not seem like anything you don't know yet.

One SI who experienced this snag actually managed to reload another project with old C-Touch afterwards and "revived" the faulty screen. (see email)

Thanks
    Hein

heinp, Aug 5, 2005
  13. Dave Byron

Marc

No empty scenes

In our case I can confirm there are no empty scenes, however the project had been imported from the old C-touch software. Since then the same project has been uploaded to a new Ctouch which is working with no problems. It seems a common issue could be the import process in the PICED software.

M.

Marc, Aug 6, 2005
  14. Dave Byron

Dave Byron

Darren
    I was using a project that works, the unit has been loaded about 50 times before and was testing interface for bad leads so not sure how much data was down loaded - could have started on scene data then quit.
    All I can say is the project has no blank scenes, the unit is in transit to you.
    Maybe there something to be learned from it.

dave

Dave Byron, Aug 6, 2005
  15. Dave Byron

Charlie Crackle

I had some time on the weekend to have a look at this again. I did have 1 empty scene. I removed it before import and all OK.

I tried to find the original project that had the rebooting issue. I loaded the last 3 backups I had and they all caused the reboot loop. but a single power on and off and problem fixed. I could not repeat the issue that I had before that when the power went off it went into a reboot loop untill I disconnected and reconnected CBUS.

Charles

Charlie Crackle, Aug 15, 2005
  16. Dave Byron

Darren Senior Member

I just to make sure I have understand you correctly. Are you saying that the project that was killing the C-Touch has an empty Scene and when you deleted the empty Scene, it worked OK ?

I want to be sure that this appears to be the primary cause of this resetting problem so that I don't spend too much time chasing down another problem which may not exist.

Darren, Aug 15, 2005
  17. Dave Byron

Sam

Darren did you ever get to the bottom of the rebooting problem (BW C-TOUCH) or is it still out there ?.

Regards Sam.

Sam, Sep 26, 2005
  18. Dave Byron

Darren Senior Member

The problem is caused by importing an old project which contains empty Scenes and then downloading it to a unit running V2.0 firmware. This was fixed in V2.1 firmware.

Darren, Sep 27, 2005
  19. Dave Byron

pcwrecker

Hi Darren, I have the same problem, caused by a failed download. I just checked PICED and although we have 2 scenes, neither are empty.

Rick

pcwrecker, Nov 28, 2005
  20. Dave Byron

Darren Senior Member

What version of firmware are you using ?

Darren, Nov 28, 2005
Ask a Question