Screen and Indicator Brightness on DLT's

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by fleetz, Dec 27, 2009.

1. fleetz

fleetz

Currently I have all 21 DLT's set to 2% so at night you can just see the DLT's in the dark.

I was just wondering what the back light hours is likely to be if they are run 24/7? Is this true LCD back light or separte LEDs providing the backlight?

Are there any general quoted life on the LCDs on the DLTs??

Regards,

Fleetz

fleetz, Dec 27, 2009
  2. fleetz

ashleigh Moderator

When you say "true LCD backlight" I suspect you probably mean - is it electroluninescent - which has an output that degrades with time.

The DLT has a backlight that uses several discrete LEDs and a diffuser. Typical lifetime on these small LEDs is about 100K hours or more - usually much more. The LCD itself has a lifetime of over 10 years.

When you dim the LED, it is actually turned on and off using pulse width modulation at a frequency of about 1 kHz - which helps to improve the lifetime.

If you assume 100K hours from the LEDs thats a bit over 10 years if run at rated power. Even at max brightness they are not run at rated power (far, far below). And when dimmed at night its even less.

A REASONABLE expectation for the LED backlight lifetime is 10-20 years. Of course there will always be one of two LEDs that cark it before then, but statistically the mean lifetime should be way out until retirement and then some.

ashleigh, Dec 27, 2009
  3. fleetz

fleetz

Hi Ashleigh,

Compliments of the Season....

Bit disappointed that it took over an hour to get a reply from you given it is Sunday over Xmas and New Year.....gotta do better next time.:D:eek: Seriously thanks! Shows your dedication...

Your response all make sense only thing you got wrong is I am already retired!:) If a LED carks it in one of the units I will insist that you personally come to Port Douglas to replace it!:rolleyes:

All the best for the coming year.

Fleetz

fleetz, Dec 27, 2009
  4. fleetz

ashleigh Moderator

Hi Mr Fleetz. Its the day after boxing day... 2 days of family all together eating and drinking way too much. A quiet, easy day was called for. And in the circumstances a quick peek to see how customers might be faring is not much of an impost.

Anyhow - your DLTs should deliver many years of service. They don't use electroluminescent, and have been designed to last a long, long time.

Should one die, then a trip to Port Douglas would be a terrible, terrible imposition. :D

ashleigh, Dec 27, 2009
  5. fleetz

Lucky555

I will second that, as a C-Bus user for a tad over 15 years :eek: when the C-Bus forums first started about 7 years ago it was a gutsy move. The potential is there to expose all the good and the bad for the world to see - a bit like why you don't have your clothes line in the front yard. Interesting to note, no other real competitor of C-Bus has ever dared to do this ;)Over the years the benefit of the forums would be very hard to quantify other than to say its benefit has and will be massive.

Just last week I ran into a chap from the USA (CA). He is a systems engineer who was in our office talking to one of our engineers about a commercial integrated building control project he has back home. When the subject of C-Bus came up for some reason our engineer dragged me out of my office and into the test room. I ended up giving the chap a crash course on C-Bus in commercial installs. The reason for this blurb is,,, during our discussions he stated that no one over in the US in his region, has done any training yet (due early 2010) however the C-Bus Forums are an excellent source of information.

A big congratulations to all the "brothers of the brains trust" (Ashleigh I think you top the class on the forums) and all the regular posters / answer-ers who help C-Bus users all over the globe. Good job guys...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2009
    Lucky555, Dec 27, 2009
  6. fleetz

ICS-GS

And i am sure you will only travel with one LED :D:D:D each trip.

ICS-GS, Jan 2, 2010
Ask a Question