Sourcing Sweep Fan Capacitor

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rhamer, Apr 16, 2015.

1. rhamer

rhamer

As part of the conversion of my current home to C-Bus, I am adding 5 C-Bus fan relays and using them to control the existing 5 installed sweep fans.

I have done all the conversion wiring, and kept all the old wall speed controllers so I could harvest the capacitors and install them in the fan relays.

However...

I have discovered that some of them are physically too big to fit in the allotted space.

I noticed that the oversize ones are rated at 400v while the smaller ones are rated at 300v.

They all seem to be slightly different values also which is surprising as 3 of the fans are identical. I assume that some previous sparkie has just fitted whatever he had at the time.

So I am looking to buy some replacement capacitors of the correct value that will fit in the fan relay housing, but so far I have had no luck.

The particular capacitor I have is marked CBB61, but that appears to be some generic number for any mains capacitor. The values I require are 2.3uf and 4.1uf @ 300VAC.

Does anybody know where I can source these capacitors or something close in value?

Cheers

Rohan

rhamer, Apr 16, 2015
  2. rhamer

Conformist

Hi Rohan

When I was involved with the development of the fan controller, I sourced a variety of capacitors from a place in Adelaide called 'the fan shop'. Not too sure if you have a similar place locally there, but they had all sorts of replacement capacitors

Cheers

Conformist, Apr 16, 2015
  3. rhamer

rhamer

Thanks Chris, I hadn't thought of a fan shop, only electrical wholesalers.

There is an "Australian lighting" near me in Bayswater that has had a fan spinning around in the wind out the front advertising a "Huge Closing Down Fan Sale" for about 20 years. I'll drop in there and see what they say (unless they suddenly close down!).

Cheers

Rohan

rhamer, Apr 16, 2015
  4. rhamer

Conformist

No Probs Rohan

Let me know if you don't have success. I'll see what I can do to help locally

Conformist, Apr 16, 2015
Ask a Question