Switching Low Voltage Garden Lights - Questions

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by slip-stream, Jan 17, 2009.

1. slip-stream

slip-stream

Hi All,

I'm wanting to control ELV low voltage garden lights from my CBUS. To save on transformers, I wanted to get one larger 240V/12V transformer and fan out the low voltage side.

I'll be using low current LED loads, so current won't be an issue.

I was thinking of using the L5512RVFP voltage free relay with no mains supply.

The reason for no mains supply is that I don't want to have isolation issues between low voltage and ELV.

Does anyone have any comments or experience in doing this sort of thing? From what I can gather it should work.

Also if anyone can recommend a good transformer that would be great too.

Thanks,
    Rene.

slip-stream, Jan 17, 2009
  2. slip-stream

znelbok

What you have proposed is sound logic.

The L5512 relay can quite easily switch ELV. There is a preference not to mix switched voltages in a relay, but you have this covered.

Unfortunately, using C-Bus is an expensive way of turning on ELV loads as there are quite a lot of relays out there capable, just none are C-Bus capable.

You could find something that has a serial interface (rain8net) and use a PAC to control it.

Mick

znelbok, Jan 17, 2009
  3. slip-stream

darrenblake

Switching LV lights

You are still required to power up the control side of the relay with 240v.
    However, there is sufficient space to install a mechanical barrier to ensure complete isolation from the LV / ELV wiring.

Worst case, by only utilising the channels on the bottom of the relay will provide adequate seperation for your cabling.
    I am currently doing the same.

cheers

darrenblake, Jan 17, 2009
Ask a Question