Temperature ratings ?

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wireless Hardware' started by KevinH, Jan 6, 2010.

1. KevinH

KevinH

I have used wireless (relay) switches in a couple of inaccessible locations and these include a couple of unheated porches. About last year I had lots of problems and then it all started working perfectly again - now however it's all stopped again. I had at this time been working on the wired network and power cycled the gateway so that's what I suspected but now I'm not sure and I'm suspecting temperature issues. I am not sure if a year ago it was cold or not.

Some switches were sporadically readable via C-Bus Toolkit but appeared with blank serial numbers or blank groups or appeared but weren't configurable. I kept clearing the gateway cache. Distances between switches are very short - sub 5m.

From the specification the switches appear to be rated 0-40 C and I'm guessing the temperature currently in the porch is very close to outside of that as there's a heap of snow . So is temperature something I should be suspecting ?

Switch A was still reliably linking with B but the gateway and switches C and D were lost .. so perhaps stupidly I tried factory resetting some of the switches and now I can't seem to learn pair any of them or back to the gateway - it just appears they can't hear each other but it has all been working fine before. I can't seem to pair any permutation of the four devices, even the previously working ones.

I suppose it could be RF interference but that seems very unlikley. I'll continue trying things but are there any other suggestions ?

K

I cleared all the stats in the gateway and then tried to learn pair it with a switch less than 1m away - here's the stats after just a few mins.. they look bad.
    I have two other wireless networks here that are still working well. Just wondering if next door got a 433Mhz baby alarm for Christmas... ...

Total packets received 27
    Total packets received with error 20
    Total packets received with NACK 3
    Total packets received with NCA 3
    Totla number of collisions detected 32
    totla number of transmit attempts 33
    Total number of transmit cancellations 0
    Total number of collisions detected in TAP 25
    Total number of collisions notified during packet 0
    Total number of transmission dropped 6
    total number of successful transmissions 2
    Total number of transmisssions NACKed 0

Processor supply voltage 3069mv
    Background signal power 2315
    Last packet received power 2513

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2010
    KevinH, Jan 6, 2010
  2. KevinH

ashleigh Moderator

If they are really cold then you could be running outside ratings, in which case all bets are off.

However, the thing I'm more concerned about is that you have a very large number of collisions, and a large number in the "TAP" which is the transmit avoidance period. This is indicative that either some other wireless network is blasting away, or you have an interferer (or its so damn cold that the electronics is outside rating and falsely reporting a signal when there is none).

It might be worth checking the neighbours, CW emitters at 433 MHz are generally not permitted in the UK (which is where I think you are) but there is stills stuff around.

ashleigh, Jan 7, 2010
  3. KevinH

Don

Low temperature extremes are generally not an issue, however may affect the tuning of units. All tuned circuits - including the SAW filters in the RF transceivers are affected to some degree by temperature, so if some of your units are warm and toasty while others are colder than the specified limits, they could have problems communicating.

As for transmitters on 433MHz - this is a shared frequency band with other 'short range devices' (SRD) users, Fixed mobile, Radiolocation, Industrial, Scientific an Medical (ISM) and Amateur Radio. 433MHz is really a busy place! Here is a link to a document describing radiofrequency spectrum use in the UK:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/isu/ukfat/ukfat08.pdf

With amateur repeater outputs in the range 432.9940-433.3810 MHz, perhaps a new service has been allocated nearby? It is really difficult to say. The best way to check the spectrum for other users would be to borrow a test receiver or similar equipment and 'have a listen'. A directional antenna could be really useful in trying to pinpoint the source of interference if this is the problem.

Don, Jan 7, 2010
  4. KevinH

KevinH

I'm pretty familiar with RF issues and even held a HAM licence many moons ago. I do have a 70cm receiver that I can probably use. The weird thing is that none of the units will pair (even warm to warm ones) which again would point to some interference but it has been working and my two other wireless networks - pretty close only 20m away do still work perfectly.

I'm almost wondering if one unit is stuck on transmit or something. There are several 433 Mhz devices communicating here eg the weather station and some temp sensors but the home automation receiver that I have for these is only showing sporadic packet receipts. Maybe I've even trapped a button on an RF remote or something and it's sending packets.. the batteries should flatten soon ;-)

I too noticed that inability for the gateway to transmit based on collisions and the large TAP value - but I wondered if a succesful transmission meant that they had been end to end acknowledged and not just sent out. If it literally means it can't get free airspace then that's a very useful diagnostic to follow. My other C-Bus wireless networks show similar noise floors but do not have the number of collisions / errors.

K

KevinH, Jan 7, 2010
  5. KevinH

ashleigh Moderator

Perhaps one is stuck transmitting for some reason. If they are all in the same vicinity though, then because they are all in the same RF band, they should all be jammed. It depends I guess on how far apart the clusters are.

In the network thats playing up, can you turn off all (every single one) of the devices, and then bring them back on 1 or 2 at a time?

RF remotes don't transmit continually. Even if you hold the button down they only send a burst of packets when the long press event is detected, then after that they don't send again. Holding a button down will flatten the batteries a bit quicker, though.

ashleigh, Jan 7, 2010
  6. KevinH

NickD Moderator

What kind of weather station is it? FWIW I have a Davis one which runs on 433MHz and haven't noticed any problems with it and the C-Bus Wireless running together.

Nick

NickD, Jan 8, 2010
Ask a Question