Toolkit 1.12.0 install

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by DarylMc, Jun 7, 2012.

1. DarylMc

DarylMc

Hi
    I have a few questions regarding the new Toolkit installation.

Could someone explain the pro's or con's of running CGate as a service?

I already have Java 6 update 32 so is there any need to install the Java which is bundled?

Is there a link for upgrade instructions?

Thanks

DarylMc, Jun 7, 2012
  2. DarylMc

daniel C-Busser Moderator

C-Gate as a service is available all the time once the machine boots up without having to be explicitly started which is desirable for some building management systems. It also removes the console window which a lot of people didn't like. You can certainly opt during installation (or by reinstalling) to revert to the traditional console version. In practice there is not much difference between the two modes.

Similarly from the sounds of it you can opt to uncheck the Java component of the installer since you already have a recent version installed.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2012
    daniel, Jun 7, 2012
  3. DarylMc

mdooher

Any ideas why my win7 64 machine won?t start c-gate as a service but seems happy enough to run it in a console window?

When I open toolkit it tells be it can't connect to c-gate. If I attempt to start the service manually It starts but then shuts down again immediately, error says service started but was shutdown as nothing was running that required it?or something similar
    thanks

mdooher, Jun 29, 2012
  4. DarylMc

daniel C-Busser Moderator

daniel, Jun 29, 2012
  5. DarylMc

mdooher

hmm, perhaps.. Of course I needed to have the console running in the last version so I can't really complain.

The reason I like the idea of the windows service is that I run homegate on a remote pc and connect to the c-gate running on the server in my "switchboard/data" cupboard.

thanks

mdooher, Jun 29, 2012
  6. DarylMc

DarylMc

Hello mdooher

Windows7 64 bit with Java 6 Update 32 with CGate running as a service has been working well for me.

One issue which is a bit obscure and probably doesn't affect many is that I have it running on a laptop which moves from wired to wireless networks.

I have had to reboot the my CNI a few times since it locked up in the process of switching networks while the service was running.

DarylMc, Jun 29, 2012
  7. DarylMc

mdooher

I had the same problem as my server also has a wireless connection... and a dodgy network cable. (running c-gate locally I mean)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2012
    mdooher, Jul 5, 2012
Ask a Question