Toolkit and Com port

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by Thomas, May 30, 2005.

1. Thomas

Thomas

This issue has been raised a number of times before, but I have not found a solution to the problem I encountered recently:

After scanning for networks on a laptop, Toolkit (1.1.6) came up with the message "no such com port Com 1" as well as error 3050, after subsequent attempts to open the network, which previously worked just fine. The Com Port is still set to Com 1 via a PCI 4. Any manual changes result in the same errors.

Even after a complete uninstall, including erasing of the C-Gate 2 directory and the Toolkit directory, and a subsequent re-installation, the very same errors came up. I had to resort to completing the job with V2....
    Eventually, when back at the office, I tried again to resolve the issue, and verified the error by attempting to open the network on my patch board. Same thing.

I eventually resolved this by copying the V2 file from the PC, then importing the project into toolkit, after which also the laptop opened the network.

This leads me to believe that the Com port info ist stored in the xml file stored in C-Gate 2, but this must even be true for the V2 files? I say this, because the same thing happened with another project which I tried to work on today. Basically, via Toolkit , any network is inaccessible until I copy it from another machine back onto the laptop. Furthermore, the Com port info seems to be project specific.
    By the way, I have ensured that the javax.comm.properties file is in place on both machines.

As I am not a Software Engineer, I am a bit at a loss, and am extremely happy that I had a copy of V2 available.

I am wondering if anyone else had this problem, and am looking for a solution for this, i.e. where is the info as regards the Com port stored, why would it mess these settings up through a scan for networks?

Cheers
    Thomas

Thomas, May 30, 2005
  2. Thomas

Don

I have experienced the same problem after importing a project from V2. I got it working again eventually by editing the generated xml file where it defined the used port. In my case, I had to remove a space after "com1" in the file.

Don

Don, May 31, 2005
  3. Thomas

Duncan

Hi Thomas,

Sorry to hear about your problem. What exactly is that you do when you "copy it from another machine back onto the laptop" ?

Duncan, May 31, 2005
  4. Thomas

Thomas

Hi Don and Duncan,

Don, in my case the problem is not a result of importing a project from V2, but a result of simply scanning for projects in Toolkit. By importing from V2, I can resolve it, but not when the project file comes from the same machine which has the problem. I also was looking for the info regarding the com port in the xml file, but it is a slightly bigger project, so I gave up sifting through this eventually. I would appreciate it if I could get an idea whereabouts in the file I need to look.

Duncan, what I mean is that I have to take an earlier file (V2) from a different machine, i.e. not the laptop which has the problem, copy it to the laptop, then import it into Toolkit. Thereafter I can open the file.
    I just would like to re-iterate that all was well until I did the scan for projects in Toolkit.

Thomas, May 31, 2005
  5. Thomas

Duncan

Hi Thomas..

Thanks for that further information.. I'm not sure what the problem is at the moment but I'm very keen to get the bottom of it!

Could you send me a "good" toolkit project and a "broken" one? They live as .XML files in C:\Clipsal\C-Gate2\tag

This should give me enough to diagnose the issue.

(I'll send you an email for you to reply to).

Duncan, May 31, 2005
  6. Thomas

Duncan

Hi Thomas,

Got those files, thanks for that.

I've worked out what's wrong and how to fix it.. but I have no idea how it happened at this point.

Somehow in the XML file (the broken one) the definition for the Network Interrface ended up with a space after the COM Port name, ie: "COM1 ". For some reason CGate is choking on this..

To fix the issue..

1. Start Toolkit
    2. Expand the "broken" Project in the Treeview (left of screen).
    3. Select the Local Network in the Treeview
    4. Click the "Edit Network" Button.
    5. Re-select COM1 from the Dialog that Pops up.

I'm still trying to work out how this happened.

Thanks for persevering!

Duncan, Jun 1, 2005
  7. Thomas

Thomas

Hi Duncan,

Thank you for the information. Checked it and it works.
    Also thank you to Don. Obviously, you had the repair already, and now also an easier repair, instead of going through the xml files.

Regards
    Thomas

Thomas, Jun 1, 2005
  8. Thomas

JME

Fixed My Problem

I have just updated to toolkit from ver 2 and after scanning my home network realised that all my names associated with my groups were not there.
    I then transfered the file from ver 2 across and after this i could not scan and kept getting an error message indicating that the com port was not connected to the PCI after following the above tips I have been able to fix this problem. I to have all my old Ver 2 project names come over in lowercase is this going to cause a problem down the track?

JME, Jun 29, 2005
  9. Thomas

Richo

No it won't cause a problem.

Richo, Jun 30, 2005
Ask a Question