Toolkit project location on Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by XHPBT1, Jan 22, 2010.

1. XHPBT1

XHPBT1

Hi there,

I have recently rebuilt my Laptop and i copied the Clipsal folder for backing up the projects etc.... but now i cant not find my old projects, can someone tell me where Toolkit saves its Projects too

thank you

XHPBT1, Jan 22, 2010
  2. XHPBT1

znelbok

Projects are housed in C:\Clipsal\C-gate2\tag

See this thread for how to change the location.
    http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389

The fact that Toolkit still does not use program files and have a dialog box to change the default save locations buggs me.

Mick

znelbok, Jan 22, 2010
  3. XHPBT1

ashleigh Moderator

Indeed.

Ponder this.

Moving the location where everything is stored is actually very easy (in s/ware).

Automagically MIGRATING all the existing user projects is not so easy. But if they are not migrated there will be a few grumbles.

AND THEN - on vista and win7, the access by normal users (that is, everyone, the idea of all users being administrators is kinda gone) to "\Program Files" is very much changed, and depending on circumstances may be virtualised into a per-user location. Meaning that there will be users complaining that projects "disappeared".

So projects, etc, can't really live with the program - they all need to move under c:\Users (or for XP, C:\Documents and Settings). And still be per-user. And still lead to complaints about not finding things - especially if a machine is set up with 2 users names (one for the boss and one for the apprentice, perhaps).

There's a huge can of worms lurking around the corner on this.

It's solvable, but the more you look, the more you find big nasty ugly problems. And they all need to be solved. The naive approach of just rushing in and changing things will lead to much tears before bedtime.

ashleigh, Jan 23, 2010
Ask a Question